Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HELP: Irish placename

Options
  • 20-01-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 20

I'm researching a book, and have come across a house name which is confusing me:

CUIL IOSAIF.

According to my very average school Irish, "CÚIL IOSAIF" would be loosely translated as "Joseph's Rear," which really doesn't sound right, given the fact that the homeowner (now long departed this life) was a devout Catholic.

I have heard that the old Irish word CUIL meant "knowledge," so the house may have been called "The Knowledge of Joseph."

Do any of the experts on this forum have a better idea? I'd be very grateful

Buíochas

Grantosol

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

"Rear" might be a very specific translation. It could be interpreted as "Joseph's End". Not a very common construction in Ireland; I'd associate it more with England.

Also, FWIW, "Joseph" can be translated two ways into Irish:
    -Seosamh, which is the given name
    -Iosaf, which is the saintly/holy name.

That's why Jesus's father is called Iosaf, whereas a person would be called Seosamh.

(Same idea with "John": Seán and Eoin, except that Eoin is now common as a given name too.)

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

When you mentioned "rear" it was the Irish "cúl" you were thinking of.
    "Cúil" means corner or nook and would pertain to Joseph the Saint as explained by Aard.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Grantosol

Thanks for your help. I've spoken to a couple of people, and combined with your responses am translating it as "St. Joseph's Refuge"

Good for you?

Grantosol

• Registered Users Posts: 2,842 ✭✭✭Micilin Muc

Cúil an tSúdaire (Portarlington) means the tanner's store as far as I remember.

Here's the eDIL entry on Cúil.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

Cúil an tSúdaire (Portarlington) means the tanner's store as far as I remember.

Here's the eDIL entry on Cúil.

Agus Cúil Aodha, Cúil an Bhuacaigh i Músgraí.
    Cúil Gréine i gCo Loch Garman.
    Tá mé cinnte go bhfuil na céadta acu timpeall na tíre!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

In placenames, "port" or "tearmann" usually represent refuge, the latter particularly when the refuge involves church grounds as in sanctuary.

To name a few placenames from the different provinces with "cúil" in them :

Cúil Ghréine...Coolgreany, Co. Wexford (nook of the sun).
    Cúil Mór...Culmore, Co. Derry (big nook).
    Cúil Mhín...Coolmeen, Co. Clare (smooth nook).
    Cúil Mhuine...Collooney, Co. Sligo (Nook of the thicket).

No doubt, a nook/corner could also be a place of refuge.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Aard wrote: »
    "Rear" might be a very specific translation. It could be interpreted as "Joseph's End". Not a very common construction in Ireland; I'd associate it more with England.

Also, FWIW, "Joseph" can be translated two ways into Irish:
    -Seosamh, which is the given name
    -Iosaf, which is the saintly/holy name.

That's why Jesus's father is called Iosaf, whereas a person would be called Seosamh.

(Same idea with "John": Seán and Eoin, except that Eoin is now common as a given name too.)

Always wondered why there were two translations of those! Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭deirdremf

dory wrote: »
    Always wondered why there were two translations of those! Cheers.
    Muire, Iósaf, Eoin are religious names, not personal names (although Eoin has come into general use, perhaps through confusion with Eoghan).
    Máire, Seosamh, Seán are personal names that came into Ireland with the Normans, although originally from the same sources.
    Riadach might have further info. on the topic, as he seems very well up in these matters generally.

Advertisement