Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cat Urine

Options
  • 20-01-2011 4:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭

Hey guys

One of my guys decieded to use the spare bed as his toilet recently, it was too late by the time i found it and now the urine has dried into the mattress and left a smell and stain. Has anyone any ideas how to remove this, ive heard white vinegear and baking powder solution should take it out?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭ElleEm

Good luck, when our darling little one decided to do that we ended up having to throw the matress away. We recently got an upholstery cleaner in to sort out our couches and bed after the cat went on them. The bed isn't that bad afterwards, but the sofa has begun to smell again, even though she hasn't gone again!
    Have you heard of a product call UrineOff. I think I'll need to invest in some? It's virtually impossible to get rid of the stench.

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭JKM

I use a mixture (about 50:50) of vinegar and water to get rid of smells from carpet etc. I have it in an old windolene bottle for easy application. Then I use a product called 'Urine Eliminator' from Rug Doctor to give it a nice lasting fragrance. This method is particularly effective on concrete which can be almost impossible to deal with. Thankfully we don't have too many accidents and are about to remove the last bit of carpet soon. We've opted for as fabric free a house as we can. Even got a leather couch a few weeks ago. Loads of scratching posts either side mind to attract any eager scratchers!!! So the only fabric is a few cushions and bedclothes. I'd recommend it.
    I actually used the Rug Doctor machine recently to clean a mattress that had been used as a toilet. It turned out brilliant, no returning smell. I done the carpet while I was at it aswell. I'd highly recommend it, it was very good. You can rent the Rug Doctor in local hardware stores etc. You can buy products from those outlets aswell.
    By the way I have a ridiculously hightened sense of smell (OH nicknamed me 'the bloodhound') so i'm pretty confident the method is effective. I do always worry that I've just become immune to the smells though and guests think the place is reeking!! Hope not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,879 ✭✭✭johndoe99

i find a mixture of detoll and water in a spray bottle gets rid of the smell eveytime.

• Registered Users Posts: 773 ✭✭✭echosound

Bread soda/baking soda - put this on the mattress, leave it for a while, should absorb a lot of the smell (and dampness if it is still a bit damp). Hoover it up. If the smell persists, make the bread soda into a paste and put it on again, leave it to dry, and hoover it up again. Hopefully that should get most of the odour out.

There are some sprays you can get in petshops or the likes of Homebase, to remove "pet odours", these can do the trick too.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

You need a blacklight (so you can see exactly where the stain begins and ends) and an enzyme cleaner - the sort of washing powder that makes the environment cry (unfortunately). A product for steeping a baby's cloth nappies is usually a good solution. I have no idea if you can get Biozet in Ireland - it has a formula with enzymes and that cleans up cat pee.

You need a bucket of warm water with enzyme cleaner dissolved in it - if the stain is still wet, soak up all excess pee with an absorbent kitchen towel. Then wash down the area with the enzyme cleaner. Between washes, soak up excess moisture with the kitchen towel. Just keep going over it until you can't smell anything except enzyme cleaner.

You can dab a couple of drops of essential oil, like lavender, on it when you're finished.

Or as mentioned above, a wet/dry cleaner like a rug doctor, or a pet vax, can be very helpful for soaking up the moisture.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭blondie7

Thanks for all the replys guys, i poured vinegear over it last night and used a towel to rub the stain out (working from the inside out) This removed a good bit of the stain and then sprinkled baking soda over this. Ive to hoover this off now in a bit. The stain is almost gone and the room now smells of vinegear (better than cat urine!) Ill try and get the rest of the stain out tonight with the vinegear again, fingers crossed :)

Advertisement