Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

vegan desserts/ dairy free butter in dublin?

Options
  • 20-01-2011 12:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

hi all,

I'm cooking dinner for about 12 people tomorrow night and while no-one is vegan (i do have one vegetarian), one of my guests is really allergic to eggs & dairy, so I was hoping to find a nice dessert recipe, rather than just give her a bowl of fruit!! I like the idea of a crumble, but all the recipes I've found are saying to use dairy free marg- where would I get this? I'm in Dublin, doing my main shopping for the dinner tonight in Dunnes. Would they have something like that?

Sorry for the question, but it'd be a huge help. or does anyone have any nice recipes suitable for non dairy/egg/vegetarian guests? Thanks!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,445 ✭✭✭Absurdum

I'm not sure about Dunnes, but Tesco, Superquinn and Supervalu stock Pure which is dairyfree

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

Hi, I'm probably too late, but Dunnes have both Pure and Vitalite on the refrigerator shelves, both of which are suitable for vegans.

Recipe ideas... A crumble is your best bet. Cakes etc. can be terpermental without eggs. You could use half a mashed up banana in the place of one egg, or custard (e.g. alpro custard), or arrowroot (1 tbsp arrowroot, ½ tsp baking powder + 1 tbsp water per 140 g/5oz flour). Most vegans like myself use "No Egg" egg replacer.

Actually, cookies and biscuits don't require eggs and are easily made vegan. I suppose it depends on your guests, but some choc chic cookies/rounds always go down well! Just make sure any chocolate pieces you may use are alright. Lindt is ok (just check), or Divine Dark Chocolate or some cooking chocolate is ok too I think. Green and Blacks has whole milk powder...

Best of luck! Let us know how your delicious dessert goes :)

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭flikflak

M+S do dairy free marg too 1.19 a tub.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Thanks guys!

I'm afraid I chickened out when my allergy prone guest told me she couldn't come as she was sick, so I did baked bananas with ice-cream and home made chocolate sauce (family recipe).

:o

It was super yummy! But not very vegan. although I suppose you could easily substitute the ice-cream for non-dairy and likewise with the choc. Unfortunately my partner is very allergic to cocoa solids, so something like green & blacks triggers anaphylactic shock...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

Gah wrote a reply that got deleted. Hate when that happens. :mad:

<Edit- oh look it randomly appeared!>

• Advertisement
Advertisement