Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything to toughen up dogs tummy?

Options
  • 20-01-2011 11:56am
    Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭

Hi guys,

Looking for advice.

I know huskys are notorious for having dodgy tummies, and my two are the same, but Im wondering if theres anything that can help toughen up their tummies?

My two are on a BARF diet, and as long as they get nothing else, they have nice healthy poops but if they get their teeth into anything else you'll see the aftermath for days ;)

Since my two are at the daycare with me every day they invariably get into one of the other dogs lunch every few days, so I'm just wondering if theres any supplement, or type of food that would help their digestion?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lotsadots

One of mine can get a dodgy tummy sometimes too, especially when she's eaten something she hasn't.

I use probiotic powder and found that helps with her digestion, and If I don't have any powder I'd use natural yoghurt, plus the yoghurt is way cheaper than the powder and seems to work a treat. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

thanks for that! Just the normal yoghurt you get in Tesco's?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 lotsadots

Probiotic would be even better, as it would have all the "friendly" bacteria to help with digestion, as long as your dog doesn't have a dairy allergy;)

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

hi, would u not be better having a word with the staff at day care and ask them to keep a good eye on your guys so that they cant get at the other doggies food. After all they should be anyway and you are paying for them to be minded properly. i wouldnt be to happy for this to be happening every few days, can t be good on your guys tummies.

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭CreedonsDogDayc

We all do our best to keep her away from the food , and are continueing to do so, but most husky owners know how they can seem to get in anywhere even after you think you've husky-proofed a room.

What i'm looking for is information on strengthening up her tummy so this doesnt happen throughout her life.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

hi, would u not be better having a word with the staff at day care and ask them to keep a good eye on your guys so that they cant get at the other doggies food. After all they should be anyway and you are paying for them to be minded properly. i wouldnt be to happy for this to be happening every few days, can t be good on your guys tummies.

The OP owns the day care, and her dogs are there with her when she's working.

A good point was made on a UK sibe forum a few months ago, wondering where this had come from, the difficult tummies, as surely when they were working in siberia and alaska, they would have been fed whatever was available, which would change regularly. However, maybe it doesn't matter so much if your dog has the runs when you're out in the middle of nowhere:D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,939 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I don't know if this is of any help to you at all & probably not but I'v found my Westie is able deal with little things she picks up off the floor a lot better since she has been on Burns, not sure if this is her becoming more tollerant of things, picking up less stuff off the floor, the kids starting to wise up to dropping stuff, her getting older (8 and a half months) or because she has settled on the Burns and is able to deal with the odd 'find'. Thought I'd share anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

I use Burns and pork and potato seems to be the one that keeps their poops the most solid, I guess if you feed them one specific type of food they may react badly to other types but I've found with Burns it tends to agree with any dogs I've had it on, and when I had some foster cats on the Burns cat food.

If your dogs are getting at various brands of food then they will get upset tums though, my lot are like hoovers so have to watch them like a hawk but every now and then they'd find something even if it's just wild rabbit poop.

Advertisement