Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Diesel Mondeo Fuel Filter F@cked

Options
  • 20-01-2011 11:29am
    Registered Users Posts: 30

Hi

I changed my fuel filter last night thinking i'd do the car a favour. I forgot to fill the filter with fuel before I put it back in like an idiot. Then I ran the car to test... it ran for a few seconds and then cut out. I copped i'd done something wrong so went on the internets and took a looksie. I then went back, filled the filter with new fuel...brimming... and tried to start... nothing...

back to the forums again and saw that i might take a while to start... I ran it for 10 second bursts for about 10 goes maybe, still nothing.

Can anyone give me a suggestion as to what to do, I was thinking of lashing a bit of easy start down the air intake but i've also read that that could wreck more stuff...

Also, it's pretty cold here where I am at the moment... down around freezing, so the car is havin a tough time to start anyway.

Any ideas out there?

Comments

If there is no bleed screw or priming bulb you may have to bleed out the air at the injectors, it might self prime eventually though with cranking but you may well drain the battery or burn the starter out if not careful.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 elbono

Ah right, how do I bleed the injectors? It doesn't have one of those manual primers. It's a 2001 mondeo, the MK3 style, TDDI.

Thanks for the help

Edit: I remember reading somewhere that the Mondeo's were self bleeding... is that an untruth?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,341 ✭✭✭mullingar

Depending on the year, is there a priming pump?

I don't think so, not a manual one anyway. is there any way of pumping the fuel manually, with a syringe or blowing it in or something?

elbono wrote: »
    Edit: I remember reading somewhere that the Mondeo's were self bleeding... is that an untruth?

Google is your friend really.

If they do self bleed that would be with a full filter, not after injesting a load of air from an empty one ;)

• Advertisement

Yeah well the internets are telling me that they self bleed. There must be a rake of air in it now. Any idea how to get it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Don't go messing with injectors. Get a lend of a primer and prime the filter. Suck it through the filter and into an empty coke bottle and when you get a nice steady flow then start priming in into the engine. Start it, run for a minute, turn off engine, remove primer and refit right pipes and then start and leave running.

I didn't see the last post until now... oopsie.

I got it going eventually. I had to take the injectors off... well the bolt bit just above them and turn the car over a bit. Fuel came out straight away and then when I put it back together the car was spluttering a bit... Ran her a few more times and bobs your uncle, she's smoking like a demon but at least running.

Thanks for the advise anyway, hopefully the injectors won't be wrecked, I don't see why as i didn't get any dirt in them.

Olé!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

elbono wrote: »
    I didn't see the last post until now... oopsie.

I got it going eventually. I had to take the injectors off... well the bolt bit just above them and turn the car over a bit. Fuel came out straight away and then when I put it back together the car was spluttering a bit... Ran her a few more times and bobs your uncle, she's smoking like a demon but at least running.

Thanks for the advise anyway, hopefully the injectors won't be wrecked, I don't see why as i didn't get any dirt in them.

Olé!!

Arrgh, the poor car!

Advertisement