Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads today

Options
  • 20-01-2011 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭

Anyone been out this morning? Are the roads safe for a spin?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭FatSh!te

Dundrum to city centre was ok this morning, but still frost in alot of the cycle lanes.

I'd say wicklow roads will be still fairly frosty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,400 ✭✭✭Caroline_ie

Lots of Frost in Castlenock and Blanchardstown but main roads are ok.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭amjon.

Was thinking back roads of Dublin. The frost dosen't seem slipery, I suppose it could be concealing black ice tho?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,297 ✭✭✭✭Jawgap

North County Dublin - main roads fine, back roads very frosty.

Yesterday evening a lot of the frost hadn't cleared from shaded areas so I assume it will be a similar situation today.

Looks like turbo so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31,042 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

In my inexpert opinion it's perfectly safe. The weather is too dry and cold for ice to be a problem.

It's also beautiful outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭anoble66

its going to depend on where in the country you are, lot of black ice around Clare / Tipp this morning and still 0C

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

amjon. wrote: »
    Looks like turbo so.

Nooooooooo....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056148577

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

Just back from a short lunchtime spin, Rathfarnham, Cruagh, Johnny Foxes and back. Roads are pretty good, surface frost but dry, particularly if you stay in the car tyre tracks. Odd bits of ice at the edge, notably at Barnaculla coming back from J Foxes, but nothing to cause problems if you take it easy. Glorious day out in the hills, but you need the warm gear. Cold enough to freeze of a snowmans cold bits today.

n.b. I've a hybrid with widish tyres, but am a total wimp on a bike which probably balances this out ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭souter

probably fine now, but snotted myself this morning on a bit of black ice in Dublin.
    Damn, first fall this winter.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

Lots of Frost in Castlenock and Blanchardstown but main roads are ok.

I thought it was slippy in places. One of the heaviest frost I've ever seen in D.15.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

BostonB wrote: »
    I thought it was slippy in places. One of the heaviest frost I've ever seen in D.15.

The cycle track on the north side of the Chesterfield Ave carriageway was clear while the one on the south was thick with frost in places, particularly in the shadow of the trees. That type of frost (caused by 'dew' rather than rain which has frozen to ice) is usually a lot more grippy than ice IMO.

100Suns wrote: »
    caused by 'dew' rather than rain which has frozen to ice

This makes alot of sense. I remember I was pulling an allnighter for some exams at Christmass a few years ago and noticing the frost only appeared about 40 minutes before sunrise, around the same time dew appears. Just did a few hours on the turbo, look like the same tomorrow.

Advertisement