Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Night cycling in Cork

Options
  • 19-01-2011 11:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

Been out few nights over the last few weeks but struggling to think up of some safe routes to cycle in teh dark evenings...

Any suggestions of any that ye train on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

maybe bikeroutetoaster or ridewithgps to help you select routes ? try in car first for condition

• Closed Accounts Posts: 573 ✭✭✭el Bastardo

Well, I can highly un-recommend Ringaskiddy by any and all routes - Too dangerous, too dark and prick motorists throwing their drinks at me (I hope it was drinks and not something else!).

Nowhere in Cork is really that safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,565 ✭✭✭thebouldwhacker

I'm guessing you mean safe in a wide road kind of way.
    You could try the old Dublin road towards Fermoy, so long as your happy with your lighting as there are a few pot holes that could take a rim, but the road is quiet, wide and hilly enough if you push yourself. The old Midleton road would be great but the surface is so bad its hard to drive on, a nightmare in the dark I'd imagine. Another option is to head out on the dual carriageway toward Macroom, great surface with a large hard shoulder but its a pain in the ass crossing town.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭cantalach

I don't do a massive amount of night cycling but whenever I do, it invariably takes in R'town Road, Passage, Monkstown, Rafeen, Ringaskiddy, Carrigaline, sometimes Crosshaven, etc. I have never had anything thrown at me. I'm always with another guy though and maybe something like this is more likely if you're on your own.

My big issue with night cycling is potholes and the route mentioned above is pretty good in that respect. That said, I hit a massive new pothole right in the middle of Passage the other night - power cut there at the time so I didn't see it! Pinch flat but no damage to rim.

I was talking with another cycling buddy just before Christmas and he reckons the Ballincollig Bypass is actually not a bad option for a night spin. You don't have to worry about running into a huge pothole and, assuming you're well lit, the motorists can see you a long way off. Also, and this is a biggie given the weather over the last few months, it's salted in cold weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭rochefan

Not sure what side of the city you are starting but I go on a 6 mile loop out the midleton road on the hard shoulder, take the turn off for Carrigtwohill and come back by Bio Cell and back onto the main road again. I do it in the morning and there is very little traffic. Most traffic is entering the city but when I'm on Midleton road I'm heading out of the city. Surface is a bit rough at the moment as they are resurfacing but I find it ok.

• Advertisement
Advertisement