Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cheap Insulation in Dublin

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭

Hi. I have just cleared out the attic, to make way for additional insulation. The plan is to put an additional layer of 100mm of wool type insulation in between the joists and another layer of 100mm at right angles to the joists, but using insulated kingspan boards (or similar) in one area to allow for storage.

So...now I'm wondering where I might pick this stuff up at a good price. I'm living in the Templogue area, I wonder has anyone any good dieas re where to buy the two types of insulation. Preferably I'll by both types in the same place, and I imagine I'll need to get it delivered too. Any ideas welcome. Thanks!

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

Hi. I have just cleared out the attic, to make way for additional insulation. The plan is to put an additional layer of 100mm of wool type insulation in between the joists and another layer of 100mm at right angles to the joists, but using insulated kingspan boards (or similar) in one area to allow for storage.

So...now I'm wondering where I might pick this stuff up at a good price. I'm living in the Templogue area, I wonder has anyone any good dieas re where to buy the two types of insulation. Preferably I'll by both types in the same place, and I imagine I'll need to get it delivered too. Any ideas welcome. Thanks!

TJ O'Mahony builders providers and diy store in Balymount are selling Kingspan 100mm thick thermal loft walk boards for 19 euro each.

They are approx 1200mm long x 700 wide.

They can probably be had cheaper than that,but I dont know where would be cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Drake66

I got a few 150 mm rolls of the Knauf earthwool at 18 euro plus vat in O'Mahony's a few weeks ago. It is great stuff. Smiths in Walkinstown are selling the yellow fiberglass at 17 euro inc vat I think.

Drake66 wrote: »
    I got a few 150 mm rolls of the Knauf earthwool at 18 euro plus vat in O'Mahony's a few weeks ago. It is great stuff. Smiths in Walkinstown are selling the yellow fiberglass at 17 euro inc vat I think.

I got 100mm and 170mm Knauf for 13 euro a roll in Homebase just before Xmass.

I bought a shed load of the stuff in fact.At 13 euro (including vat) a roll,it wasnt going to hang around for too long.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭BoardsMember

Thanks for the feedback guys. I think I'll make a few calls to the above and see who is selling it cheaply

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

i'd be interested in your findings please!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭CBYR1983

paddy147 wrote: »
    I got 100mm and 170mm Knauf for 13 euro a roll in Homebase just before Xmass.

I bought a shed load of the stuff in fact.At 13 euro (including vat) a roll,it wasnt going to hang around for too long.:D

I'm pretty sure I went looking for that just after xmas and they had upped the price of that in the Naas Road Homebase to €50! I said yer having a laugh. Only reason I didn't get it when I first saw it was cos I was after the 100mm and they only had 200mm. Never really goes to waste though that stuff, does it.

CBYR1983 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure I went looking for that just after xmas and they had upped the price of that in the Naas Road Homebase to €50! I said yer having a laugh. Only reason I didn't get it when I first saw it was cos I was after the 100mm and they only had 200mm. Never really goes to waste though that stuff, does it.

Homebase up in Northwood Business park,Santry got in 2 large shipments of the Knauf insulation,but it was the wrong type of stuff that they ordered in (Homebases own fault).

So to shift it on asap,they just sold it off at a crazy price of 13 euro.

It usually would have been 49 euro a roll.:eek:

It flew out the door at 13 euro a roll,and I made sure I got a load of rolls of the stuff.

Allways handy to have.:)

Just bought some this morning in Homebase Nutgrove. It was 40 euro. It is Knauf Carbon Zero base layer loft insulation, 100mm. They are big rolls, cover an area of 14sq. m, the roll is 1.14metres wide. They also have 170mm version that is a litte bit more expensive, think it was 48euro. Have no idea if this is expensive or not.

Bought overalls and goggles too. On the lookout for a mask, someone on here mentioned moldex dust masks. The ones in homesbase were either the cheap ones that are no use, or a 3m one that was 60 euro so did not get either.

Here's info on the product: http://www.knaufinsulation.co.uk/products/glass_mineral_wool_rolls/loft_insulation_rolls/earthwool_carbonzero_loft_roll.aspx

chadwicks in sandyford are doing 100mm rolls that cover 5.8sqm for 18 euro or so, brought back the stuff from homebase!

• Registered Users Posts: 788 ✭✭✭650gs

Brooks Old Naas Rd150mm 15euro a roll 13 to trade

• Advertisement
Advertisement