Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Implementing a good WLAN network

Options
  • 19-01-2011 9:38pm
    Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hi,

I've recently been looking at a solution for complete wireless coverage in our building. At the moment there are 2, only covering half the building and both have different SSID's, same passphrase. I plan on adding 2 more WAPs to our LAN for complete coverage.

I've read up on this, and from what I can gather, if the WAPs are located at different ends of the building with the broadcast ranges slightly overlapping, with the same SSIDs and on DIFFERENT channels, then I should be OK.

And by OK, I mean... A laptop can connect to any WAP, and because they have the same SSID and WEP, should in theory be able to roam the building and automagically connect to the WAP with the best signal strength. Am I right in saying this?

TIA,
    Joe.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭bhickey

joe2687 wrote: »
    Am I right in saying this?

In theory yes. Use channels 1, 6 & 11 and use inSSIDer or Netstumbler on a laptop to gauge where best to locate the AP's for optimum coverage and minimum interference.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

Make sure you drop the WEP though as it is insecure. WPA2 RADIUS should be used for enterprise wireless setups. The rest of your plan sounds fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Moved to Wireless.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Make sure only one device is routing and handling DHCP (some AP's have options for DHCP)

Advertisement