Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carbon road bike on Turbo Trainer???

Options
  • 19-01-2011 8:58pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Guy,

Can you put a carbon bike, weather it be full carbon bike, carbon frame or carbon forks on a turbo trainer??? I presume you can but have heard otherwise???

Advice Helpful!!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

You can, assuming the frame fits.

I guess you already knew that though, so at a preemptive answer to the question you should have asked, you would be best asking the manufacturer of said carbon bike if they'd recommend it.

Based on how my aluminum winter hack sits in it, I won't be putting carbon in mine. I don't like the perceived flex of my pedaling transfers through the drop outs.

Certainly open to corrections.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Niall Davis

Once the turbo trainer clamps don't touch the frame you'll be grand (obviously!) Most trainers clamp the quick release but some tend to rub against the frame (at the axel) at the same time. You could experiement with different quick releases and trainers. I use my carbon road bike on the trainer and its fine- doesn't touch the frame...

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭jiffybag

Dont do it!!!
    Seen quite a few high end frames crack after turbo use . Always in the same place just behind the BB on the rear stays.

Rollers would be a much kinder option for a carbon frame.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,097 ✭✭✭morana

used my current training bike full carbo Kuota ksano and have used my Cervelo Soloist on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Just use some common sense:

- Make sure it's clamped correctly and use the provided skewer
    - Save the big sprinting efforts and working the bike like a jackhammer for the open road.

A frame experiences far more stress on the road, but because it's constrained on a turbo you tend to notice it more, and yes, it's focused mostly on the rear stays and bottom bracket area, but it's not outside the design of the frame.

If you are that worried, I suggest getting a winter hack and using that on the turbo.

I've been using mine on the turbo, granted I don't put out the watts to worry the frame, but I can still see it flexing under me, totally normal and not to do with me pushing the limits of the frame.

• Advertisement
Advertisement