Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

British Gp 2011-Silverstone

Options
  • 19-01-2011 8:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I am interested in goin to the GP this yr. What part of the circuits are best to watch from? Is parking ok there and how much? Is it a good atmosphere. I went to Hockenheim last yr and the atmosphere was not as passionate as I expected it to be. Any positive/ negative experiences of Silverstone. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Yep its a good atmosphere, no doubt about it. I was there last year, just went for the basic general admission ticket which allows you to go to any of the general viewing areas around the track. We watched at every corner throughout Friday and Saturday and then set up camp down at Stowe for the race. The whole thing is a serious McLaren-fest though. I would say at least 90% of people sitting up at Stowe were wearing McLaren merchandise.
    Are you looking to go for a grandstand or general admission?
    If going for stand then i'd recommend either copse or maggots/becketts. The speed and direction change of the cars going through there would take the sight from your eye, an absolute must-see.
    Are you camping?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Was half thinking of going to this, this year also but I'm not a big fan of camping or long journeys to and from the track.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gerryff

I have accomodation booked in Luton for the few days and I will rent a car. Haven't decided where yet will I get the tickets for. On the Sunday for general admission can u get a decent view?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,228 ✭✭✭vincenzolorenzo

Yeah you can get a good view alright but you'd have to be there early, definitely before 9 to get the best spots. We found that Stowe had the best general admission views, some of the spots down around Club weren't too great. If you have the bobs to buy a grandstand seat then they're a much better view, but if not general admission will do just grand

• Registered Users Posts: 29 gerryff

thanks Vicenzo. Will probably get a grandstand ticket. cud be a waste of money if I cudn't get a decent view in General Admission. Are they many areas where F1 merchandise is sold? Do u know are the car parks far from the track?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,096 ✭✭✭smooch71

I go to Silverstone nearly every year, I use the Whittlebury campsite which is only about 15 minutes walk to the track depending on where your pitch is.

I've never bought grandstand tickets as I think they're ridiculously over priced, and even the more reasonably priced tickets are further back from the track than the general admission ones.

The best place to go is at the very end of the hangar straight at Stowe corner. Theres a big screen there and without its hard to figure out whats going on, especially after the pitstops and when the cars start to lap each other. You should also see plenty of overtaking there too.

But be warned, you need to get there extremely early on the sunday morning. I'm talking six o'clock to get the best spot opposite the corner and the tv screen.

So get some camp chairs and plonk them just before the braking point if you can, this is where the cars are at full song and sound amazing just before they brake and clatter down through the gears.

Then crack open a breakfast beer and watch the silverstone tv and other track activities before the race starts. The time will fly by.

A 3 day general admission ticket is cheap enough, £100 or so and you can go where you like in the grandstands for the friday practice.

Advertisement