Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

pothole warning

Options
  • 19-01-2011 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭

Monday night on the commute home, I hit a pothole that had not been on the track for very long. Some work is being carried out on the road beside the cycle track in Clontarf, Dublin and the work men left behind a fairly deep hole (In between the wooden bridge and the first carpark - beside yellow work trailer). No immediate pain, but a real jolt from hitting the hole.

Later Monday night bent down to fill the dishwasher, massive pain the back and had a controlled collapse to the ground. Took me half an hour to stand up and hobbled up to bed.

7.30 Tuesday morning: back went into spasm and and continued every time I moved until about 8pm. Took from 7:30 am 'till lunch time just to turn over on the bed. I never experienced pain like that before. Dr. came around and gave jab to calm the muscles, anti-inflammatory tablets, pain killers, etc.

20 minutes to get out of bed this morning, down to chiropractor. Best guess us that the pothole jolt aggrevated the joint from spine to hip and the movement at the dishwasher kinda locked it or strained the initial injury. Luckily it looks like muscle strain or damage rather than nerve or disc problem and thankfully the spasms have not returned.

On the upside chiro said a good exercise for this injury (in due course) is cycling!

Moral of the story: watch out for those potholes (or stay away from the dishwasher).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,317 ✭✭✭✭Raam

I think that hole was there before they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

If you need a good bumpy ride, just go down Grace Park Road :rolleyes:

Honestly, there are some potholes down there, which are just ludicrous :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 11,748 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Hope you make a full recovery.

I am very dubious about chiropractors though. They're not doctors, and the theoretical basis of their discipline seems nonsensical.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭justo

Raam wrote: »
    I think that hole was there before they were.

Thanks Raam. Point well made. That changes everything.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,222 ✭✭✭michael196

justo wrote: »
    Monday night on the commute home, I hit a pothole that had not been on the track for very long. Some work is being carried out on the road beside the cycle track in Clontarf, Dublin and the work men left behind a fairly deep hole (In between the wooden bridge and the first carpark - beside yellow work trailer). No immediate pain, but a real jolt from hitting the hole.

Later Monday night bent down to fill the dishwasher, massive pain the back and had a controlled collapse to the ground. Took me half an hour to stand up and hobbled up to bed.

7.30 Tuesday morning: back went into spasm and and continued every time I moved until about 8pm. Took from 7:30 am 'till lunch time just to turn over on the bed.

20 minutes to get out of bed this morning, down to chiropractor.

On the upside chiro said a good exercise for this injury (in due course) is cycling!

Moral of the story: watch out for those potholes (or stay away from the dishwasher).

I would stronlgly advise you to inform the council about this hole. not on the basis of compo, but rather that such a danger exists on their patch. you are probably not the only person to have a serious injury from this, and the council should wish to prevent further incidents. it may prioritise the fixing of this crater.

you mus inform them of ur need to call a doctor and have mediaction administered: again just to highlight how dangerous the hole is.

If we want an incident and injury free 2011, this is the approach we must take, find the places where injury and incidents can occur or have potential to occur and report it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Doctor Bob

michael196 wrote: »
    I would stronlgly advise you to inform the council about this hole. not on the basis of compo, but rather that such a danger exists on their patch. you are probably not the only person to have a serious injury from this, and the council should wish to prevent further incidents. it may prioritise the fixing of this crater.

In that regard, might be worth re-mentioning this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056114246

Doctor Bob wrote: »
    In that regard, might be worth re-mentioning this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056114246

report now posted with DCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭captain P

Lars1916 wrote: »
    If you need a good bumpy ride, just go down Grace Park Road :rolleyes:

Honestly, there are some potholes down there, which are just ludicrous :eek:

Some of them could be described as cavernous! If you went into one, you'd probably need a ladder to get out. Philipsburgh avenue and Richmond road are the same.
    Have to take the bike into the shop tomorrow because of pothole inflicted damage from around there :(.

@ justo, hope you recover soon :)!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Hope you make a full recovery.

I am very dubious about chiropractors though. They're not doctors, and the theoretical basis of their discipline seems nonsensical.

+1

My wife had a similar problem that ended up requiring some surgery after spending too much time in pain, and too much money on chiropractors and osteopathy. If the problem persists, which hopefully it wont, talk to your GP. My feeling is that chiropractors and osteopaths can relieve pain caused by something being out of place or misaligned, but if there is a more serious underlying injury they can do more damage than good. Just my 2c as a rank amateur with no training in the subject mind you.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

smacl wrote: »
    +1

My wife had a similar problem that ended up requiring some surgery after spending too much time in pain, and too much money on chiropractors and osteopathy. If the problem persists, which hopefully it wont, talk to your GP. My feeling is that chiropractors and osteopaths can relieve pain caused by something being out of place or misaligned, but if there is a more serious underlying injury they can do more damage than good. Just my 2c as a rank amateur with no training in the subject mind you.

Here's to a speedy recovery.

Thanks.

I share all your concerns with Chiropractors. I went to a Physio in June and they had a very aggressive manipulation which I thought was over the top. On the contrary this chiro has shown a very gentle approach and has been very good with pinpointing the injury (sacroiliac joint aggravation) and suggesting a good path to recovery (ice, rest, gentle exercise, swimming and gentle cycling when the time is right).

On the up side, I'm mobile and the spasms have not returned since Tuesday.

I've contacted Dublin City Council to alert them to the pot hole.

Thanks for the good wishes.

• Advertisement
Advertisement