Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NAS available memory less than hard drive capacity

Options
  • 19-01-2011 6:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Calling all memory experts!

I have a D-Link NAS with 2 x Samsung 1.5TB hard drives installed (NTFS format). When I check the properties of the hard drives in My Computer, it states that maximum available space is 916GB on each drive.

Now I know that available capcaity on hard drives (USB, internal, etc) are usually less than stated by a few GB, but should i really have 916GB available out of a 1.5TB hard drive? I initially thought that the hard drives were incorrectly labelled with the wrong memory capacity, but seeing as its the same situation with both hard drives, I thought it unlikely both capacity labels would be wrong.

Are there any other considerations that may affect available memory?
    Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,037 ✭✭✭Nothingbetter2d

open up the disk management console in control panel

check to see if each drive has a portion of "unallocated space" if yes your drive partition was set to 1gb rather than 1.5gb... if u have data on the drive back it up onto another disk and then delete the partition on the nas drive and recreate the partition so its using all of its available space. repeat the step for the other nas drive

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭hearny

should see something like the following under hard drive info:

Total Drive(s): 2
    Volume Name: Volume_1
    Volume Type: RAID 1
    Sync Time Remaining: Completed
    Total Hard Drive Capacity: 1474368 MB
    Used Space: 441754 MB
    Unused Space: 1032613 MB

and something like this under physical drive info:

Slot Vendor Model Serial Number Size
    Right WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0 WD-WCAVY2151009 1500 G
    Left WDC WD15EADS-00R6B0 WD-WCAVY2237023 1500 G

The most likely thing is that they are partitioned.

If you go to my computer and type \\ followed by the D-Links address you should see the partitions on it. e.g. \\192.168.1.254

Advertisement