Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newbie to Road Bike, looking for Frame Size advice

Options
  • 19-01-2011 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭

Hi,

I've been interested in getting into road bikes for a while now and started to serious look after the turn of the year.

I've decided on the bike which has 2 frame sizes for me small (50cm) and medium (53cm).
    My inside leg is 76cm and using the .667 rule i get just under 51cm frame.

I've tried both sizes in the bike and found very little difference while sitting on them but the main difference obviously is the height of the top bar.
    On the 53cm the top bar is right at my groin, but i can comfortably stand with both feet flat on the floor.
    On the 50cm there is the gap.

My question is have you any advice on which would be better? Is there pros and cons for both sizes?

Thanks
    Paddy

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,505 ✭✭✭macnab

Hi Paddy, I was in the same position as you and I was advised to go for the smaller frame as it will be lighter and you can extend the stem if you feel a little cramped. Your inside leg puts you very close to a 50cm standard frame anyway. Keep in mind though that if you have a longer than average torso or/and long arms then a longer cross bar would be more suitable. If your arm length and torso are about 60cm then I think you will be fine with a 50cm.

PS, I am not an expert.

• Registered Users Posts: 231 ✭✭oconnpad

Thanks Macnab,

I'm only short lad at 5' 6" so under torso is in proportion.

I was leaning towards the 50cm to be honest but said i'd double check of people with much better knowledge then me on it.

Anybody else got anything to add to macnab's comments?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,042 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Top tube clearance (standover height) doesn't matter when you're riding, but a lack of it suggests you might be on a bike that's too big.

Guys,

Picked up my bike yesterday, i went for the small in the end but i've noticed something i'm wondering about and looking to check should i be concerned.

The bike is Boardman road comp small 2010

What concerns me is:-
    When the pedals are in the horizontal position and i turn the front wheel it clips my toe by about 1cm, happens on both sides as well
    It does this with both the toe clip pedals that came on the bike and also the clipless pedals i changed too.

The crank has 165 on the inside which i assume is the size in mm, is this the right lenght for a small bike 50cm frame?

I haven't cycled on the road yet at all so what should i do?

My gut feeling is my toe shouldn't hit the front wheel, am i right in thinking that.

Thanks
    Paddy

Toe overlap is normal, particularly on small bikes.

Just steer less.

• Advertisement

Thanks Lumen,

Good to know it's a known issue i suppose of small bikes.

To be honest i'm probably not going to turn the handlebars that far when cycling properly.

Thanks
    Paddy

oconnpad wrote: »
    Good to know it's a known issue i suppose of small bikes.

To be honest i'm probably not going to turn the handlebars that far when cycling properly.

FWIW, I get it on my big bike too. It only happens in traffic at very low speed when I'm weaving around cars.

The important thing is it's not going to happen when you're flying down a hill at 70kph.

Advertisement