Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Article] Extra Galway Commuter Rail Services

Options
  • 19-01-2011 2:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭

Extra Galway train services to facilitate commuters

January 18, 2011 - 7:30am
    Later morning and evening links with Athenry and other towns planned
    By Dara Bradley

Irish Rail is planning to increase the daily frequency of commuter services between Galway City and satellite towns in the county as part of an overhaul of its train timetable.

Iarnród Éireann currently operates 28 services daily between Athenry and Galway City and under a new proposal this will increase to 32 services daily beginning in March.

The company is proposing a new Galway to Athenry afternoon service that will depart Ceannt Station at 4.30pm; it is also planning to add a new morning service to the city, departing Athenry daily at 9am.

A spokesperson for Irish Rail said there is a demand for a service that arrives in Galway before 10am but departs Athenry after 9am, for workers on ‘flexi-time’ or passengers wishing to avoid the early ‘rush-hour’.

Iarnród Éireann is also planning to add another Galway to Ennis service in the evening, which would facilitate commuters who work in Galway City and who live in towns in County Galway.

The new train service will depart Ceannt Station at 6.30pm and will serve Athenry, Ardrahan, Craughwell, Gort and Ennis.

The Irish Rail spokesperson said it is proposing this additional train following feedback from passengers since the Limerick to Galway Western Rail Corridor opened last March.“

He added that it is difficult to predict the impact on demand but any time Irish Rail has increased frequency on its routes to and from Galway, the numbers using the route has always increased.
    http://www.galwaynews.ie/17091-extra-galway-train-services-facilitate-commuters

Certainly a positive development for public transport in the Galway area! I'm sure it will do a lot more to reduce traffic in Galway City than many of the random bus lanes which are often talked about.

I hope they go a step further and reduce fares for Galway commuter services. They had promotional fares from Athenry in the run up to Christmas - I think it was €6 return (which is a lot more appealing than the usual price of €11 for a return).

Hopefully work on Oranmore station will start soon also. And once that's done, they can focus on planning and building a station in Renmore :).

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,110 ✭✭✭KevR

PS - correct me if I'm wrong but with these extra services, the level crossing on Church Street in Athenry will close the road 52/54 times per day (Mon-Sat)!!

I always seem to get caught at it whenever I'm in Athenry. Me and my perfect timimg :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

are there really 28 athenry to galway trains per day? that sounds a huge number to me

edit ..just checked 14 each way what a silly way to report it...

Advertisement