Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog and water

Options
  • 19-01-2011 1:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭

Hi,

My dog will eat as normal but anytime he drinks water he tends to choke (best way to describe it) - has to cough and sometimes throws some water back up. Going to get him checked out by the vet but was just wondering if anyone has experienced this in their dogs? He also seems a bit out of sorts in the mornings (just wants to sleep, no interest in playing like he did before) in last couple of weeks - had put it down to out of his routine (was off over Christmas so not getting up as early etc) but wondering if it could be related.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Vet is definitely your first port of call on this one. Dogs that have elongated pallets can choke on just about anything, as can dogs that have a problems with the physical motion of swallowing (eg. due to an obstruction), and there are a multitude of things that it could of could not be so the best idea really is to get your dog looked at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Im with lorebringer on this, definitely one for the vet. If hes not getting much water into him he may be a bit dehydrated now hence the lethargy.

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

aww hope likkle Stevie is ok ? xxx let me know how ye get on at vets xxx he is such a lovely little lad xx

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭mohenley

Hi Boxerly

Did you notice he was like this in November? I think he has been like this for a bit but i have never kept an eye on it before (since the arrival of an unwelcome mouse he has now got access to the kitchen when we are home). He is ok with food, just liquids which I think is very strange. He is still full of energy and has lost a little weight (cause he prefers to sleep in the morning rather than eat I guess!!) but still the same old Stevie!

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

what breed of dog is he, a friends Staff was very like this coughing after water and he brought dog to vet, cant remember exactly was vet said caused it but something to do with breed, short something or other and lots of bull breeds can do this. said it was normal and nothing to worry about

• Advertisement

Nope never saw him doing it,id have mentioned it straight away if I did xx,My Bruno used to cough after drinking but he did have heart problems :(

Thanks all, I will let you know how it goes at the vets.

FYI, Stevie is a mixed mongrel

Stevie is a beautiful likkle boy with a big personality :) xx

Hi,

Just to let you know that been to the vet and it seems Stevie has a bug and the cough is nothing to worry about - started to feel better already!

Advertisement