Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Types of therapy/counselling

Options
  • 19-01-2011 10:55am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1

I'm new hear and just looking through the forums and came on this one. For a long time I have been putting off getting some form of counselling/therapy purely because I don't know what I am supposed to be looking for to find what type I need. In brief I have had a lot of upheavel in my life going back many, many years, not sure if I am depressed or not. I have never spoken to anyone about all the crap that is in my head, stuff that I can't seem to leave in the past, other than my partner who is very supportive but not able to help me in putting the past to rest and moving forward. It is not fair on my partner and children that I am constantly in bad humour and unable to enjoy life the way I should.

I know I am rambling but if anyone can put me in right direction I would really appreciate it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi Barbit,
    if you look at the stickies above about looking for a therapist/counsellor will give you some ideas about what questions to ask counsellors when you phone them, or when you are looking at websites.

The kind of therapy you look for will depend on your personal preferences and how highly you rate an evidence base. What you look for in a counsellor will be their orientation (person-centred, CBT, psychodynamic etc), their qualifications and experience, and how you get on with the person. See stickies above.

The ICP website gives a brief rundown of the different therapy orientations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,754 ✭✭✭Odysseus

Just to add one that is currently not covered under the ICP is the Association for Psychoanalysis and Psychotheraoy in Ireland. So if you find yourself thinking of psychoanalytic psychotherapy goggle APPI and you will find how to contact a member of that body there, Just so you know we cannot recommend individual therapists here, but as JC said the sticky suld point you in the right direction. Best of luck with it, what route you decide on.

Advertisement