Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

unions

Options
  • 19-01-2011 8:42am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭

dont know if its in the wrong place,feel free to move to appropiate place of so..

i work for a big company(factory) and as a staff we are not being treated well,many different incidents!how would a person go about getting a union set up or some repersentation???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭micdug

http://www.ictu.ie/joinaunion/

You could at least attempt googling this info :rolleyes: Type of union depends on business but for manufactuering you are talking Siptu or Unite.
    This is from Siptu:

"How do I start organising a Union in my work place?

Organising is your legal right, guarenteed under the Irish Constitution. Furthermore, no matter what management might say, it is against the law to be dismissed or victimised for joining or organising a union at work.

If you are serious about organising you will need to be a model employee, you cannot give management a reason to fire you.

Here are the steps you should take to build union organisation.

* Talk about the work issues that people are interested in. You need to get people thinking about the problems in work.
    * Compare your job with other unionised jobs. Is the pay better? Do they get sick pay, or overtime?
    * Ask other workers if management will listen to them as a group. Is it easier for management to ignore an individual or a united group of workers?
    * Sound out your colleagues by asking if you should have a meeting about the main issues.
    * Get together as a group and decide if you all want to organise with SIPTU.

It can take some time to build a strong union presence in your workplace, but with the help of SIPTU you can make real improvements at work.

If you want to organise your workplace, you can talk to a SIPTU Organiser about how uniting with your colleagues will help you tackle your issues.
    "

Bear in mind Unions are not a magical panacea. If it's a multinational they will just ignore the Union - they don't have to recognise a union in Ireland.
    Secondly manufacturing is having a very difficult time in Ireland, if the business find it too difficult to operate in Ireland they may well just shut it down and move elsewhere (China). Formation of a Union may be the final straw.
    Finally, Unions cost money - you have to pay dues. As a mate of mine said, it was the Union or Sky Sports. Guess which won!

Advertisement