Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Apples and shellac

Options
  • 19-01-2011 3:48am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭

Apples with that waxy shiny coating on them are coated in shellac, which is produced by insects, and usually contains crushed insects apparently.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭NecroSteve

Actually it varies a lot what fruit is coated in. There are also hard plant waxes like carnauba and candelilla, and petrochemical based versions too, i.e. plastic. Hard to tell the difference, if it's possible at all. Shellac is MADE OUT OF BEETLES, by the way!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

NecroSteve wrote: »
    Actually it varies a lot what fruit is coated in. There are also hard plant waxes like carnauba and candelilla, and petrochemical based versions too, i.e. plastic. Hard to tell the difference, if it's possible at all. Shellac is MADE OUT OF BEETLES, by the way!

Not exactly.
    Shellac is the secretion of the lac insect, collected from the tree bark that insect secrets it on as a glue for its larvae. Its vegetarian but not vegan (it would be along the same lines as honey).

BTW, the food substance that is make from bugs is carminic acid (e120), a red food dye used in many sweets (eg skittles).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Not exactly.
    Shellac is the secretion of the lac insect, collected from the tree bark that insect secrets it on as a glue for its larvae. Its vegetarian but not vegan (it would be along the same lines as honey).

BTW, the food substance that is make from bugs is carminic acid (e120), a red food dye used in many sweets (eg skittles).
    Apparently there is usually some crushed beetle in there too though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,541 ✭✭✭anothernight

Not exactly.

Shellac itself doesn't contain insects because they're strained out of it during the production process. Some people are fine with that, but a lot of vegetarians aren't, even if the food industry generally considers it a vegetarian product.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,284 ✭✭✭pwd

Shellac itself doesn't contain insects because they're strained out of it during the production process. Some people are fine with that, but a lot of vegetarians aren't, even if the food industry generally considers it a vegetarian product.
    I suppose it comes down to whether you care about insects being killed as part of the food production process. Then again insects are killed as a matter of course while farming vegetables I think, so where do you draw the line

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,772 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

Not just the food industry, vegsoc consider it vegetarian too.
    pwd wrote: »
    I suppose it comes down to whether you care about insects being killed as part of the food production process. Then again insects are killed as a matter of course while farming vegetables I think, so where do you draw the line

I imagine thats the view vegsoc take on it (same way I look at it).

Advertisement