Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ati 4850 at 80 degrees C?

Options
  • 19-01-2011 3:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭

Hey,
    Someone in another thread mentioned a great, free program called Speccy for checking PC temperatures. - http://www.piriform.com/speccy

I ran it and everything is normal except for my ATI 4850 graphics card.
    Speccy says the temperature is at 80 degrees Celcius all the time!
    I've taken out the card, checked it, fan is working OK but the heat-sink did feel pretty hot.

Does that temperature seems a bit high, what do you think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

I had a 4850, and i found the stock cooler on mine to be terrible. It would be 70-80 under load. As time went on it got worse and worse. Later on, got one of those passive artic cooler ones and the temps went down dramatically.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

this might answer your question http://forums.amd.com/game/messageview.cfm?catid=260&threadid=109497

ive a sapphire 4890, it idles at around 60 degrees most of the time which ive read is pretty normal too. might help to check if theres any dust gathered under the fan and heatsink as well and ensure you have good air circulation in your case.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,242 ✭✭✭Moon54

Thanks all,
    Yeah, must be the case, i guess, as it is pretty tight for space in there atm.
    I'm gonna look into that passive cooling too, 60 degrees sounds about right.

I'm going to be moving my 4850 to a CoolerMaster 912 case soon, so things should improve dramatically.

Cheers.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

What is the card make? Those tempratures are quite high however looking at various reviews and forums, if it is a reference cards with the single slot cooler (would look something like this) it appears that the operating tempratures can vary wildly from anywhere between anywhere between (idle /load)
    60-80C / 80 - 100C.

The max operating temprature of the card is in the region of 120C or thereabouts so it is not in any immediate danger once it is not getting near that at load, but very consistent high tempratures over a long period could concievably reduce the lifetime of the card.

I would download GPU-Z and have a look at the load temprature while running games / benchmarks (There is an optioon to write to a log file every few seconds which you can review cpu usage / tempratures etc after you are finished the session).

No harm in popping off the cooler cleaning it and reapplying thermal past to the GPU to see if that helps matters. Also as dyer pointed out if the case airflow is not good the tempratures will be higher than usual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 598 ✭✭✭dyer

furmark is handy as well if you just wanna load your card.

i underclock mine to its lowest values just usin the CCC panel and that gives me an idle temp of around 40 degrees with the fan at 40%.. dont notice any slowdowns whatsoever in the display/graphics department and ive 2 screens running off it.. if i intend to play a game or whatever ill just crank it up again.

• Advertisement

Thx for the replys. It's a MSI Ati 4850, exactly like the picture above.

I think you could be right, Marco, they seem to run hot. Using GPU-Z it seems steady at 80 degrees.
    I have to say, though, I've never had any issues with it, gaming or otherwise, just never noticed the temperature being that high, but it works.
    Good idea to redo the thermal paste, though, will do, I'd like this card to last a couple more years. :)

Thx, dyer, never realised that CCC could be that useful, makes sense to throttle GPU back for normal PC usage. Cheers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Just to clarify, is it 80 degrees idle or 80 degrees when stressed in a game or furmark?

Yeah, Nuxxx, 80 degrees idle.
    I just tried a quick game with max settings and it only got up to 82 degrees with GPU-Z.

Looks like the high temp is down to the lack of ventilation & cable management in my PC case, rather than the card, thankfully.
    Should be normal again when I get it into a better case for the new build. :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭x in the city

80 degrees idle

wayyyyyyyyyyyy too hot boss

I had same temps on my laptop, opened the bitch up and took out a kilo of dust on the vents, took off heat sinks, new thermal compound...

result =? idle of 40 degrees... have not done much gaming but doesnt seem to go to 60 degrees

Advertisement