Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bit of help please

Options
  • 19-01-2011 12:55am
    Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭

Hi All

Any help would be appreciated. I have a 27inch iMac that currently only has windows 7 installed. I installed it directly from the DVD and so the HDD only has windows partitions. I want to install OSX again but I am looking for a guide on doing this.

Thx
    TCP/IP

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Boot off the install disc and see if you can use Disk Utility to create a new partition that you can install OS X on.

When you boot off the install disc you'll be able to access Disk Utility from the Utilities menu. Then click on the hard drive in the sidebar, then click on the Partitions tab, then click on the "+" icon to add another partition.

But I'm not sure if this will work. You may need to reformat the hard disk.

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭SgtBob

I had to do something similar before, if you want to keep the Windows partition you may lose some or ALL data, as it could be spread throughout the disk.

It has been a loooonnggg time since I had to do it, but if I remember correctly, I had to use a defrag utility, that booted from CD/USB to defrag the drive and to also consolidate the data so the free space on the disk was one contiguous space.

After that I am not sure how I repartitioned the drive from the area of free space. Sorry, It was just a long while ago and I have the memory of an amnesiac goldfish.

I just thought of something else you could do.

Clone your windows drive to an external HDD and that way you have all the data backed up.

You could then proceed to reinstall OSX, like sad professor said, just boot off your OSX DVD.

Once OSX is installed you could then, install Windows with bootcamp and copy back all your data from the clone HDD

• Subscribers Posts: 3,698 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Thanks Guys I might be in luck I have two drives in my Imac one SSD and another SATA so I will try that.

Been trying again and I keep getting this error. Could comebody take a look and give me some advice.

Thx Guys

• Advertisement

By the way I get the error when booting into an OSX DVD to try and start the reinstall.

Are you holding down the "C" key until the installer appears. It's not just press and release.

It can take a few mins and is a pain in the a** sitting there with your finger on the button the whole time! :D

Tried that still no joy

That was pretty much the extent of my knowledge. Sorry.

The disc may be damaged? I've never had any issues booting off DVD with the 3 mac's I've had.

Maybe a good search of the apple discussions site and you might find some info.

Sorry I can't be of more help.

Advertisement