Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Brake lever pushrod pulled out

Options
  • 19-01-2011 12:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭

I managed somehow to do this:

144060.JPG

How do I get it back in?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Bring it to your LBS, you need a new lever, and to swap em over you need a bleed kit.
    You *can* fix them if you have the parts, there is a small circlip that holds the knuckle into the lever if you can get this out reassembly should be handy enough, the only issue is getting the circlip back on, be a right pain.

How did you do this!? Ive seen it only once before, and yes twas that exact same brake.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭AstraMonti

The bike just fell off the side.. New lever? feck..

AstraMonti wrote: »
    The bike just fell off the side.. New lever? feck..

Yea thats what the lad told me on the other one, although the plunger was bent and wrecked, yours looks a bit cleaner.
    what bike is it off? Lever should be around e30 labour another 20.

It's a specialized rockhopper 2009, thanks for the info!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,627 ✭✭✭Enduro

Actually, you should be able to push that back in yourself. It's a ball and socket type connection (you can see the spherical shape at the end of the rod). You just have to do what it takes to manouvre the ball over the socket and push hard until it snaps in. I've done this several times with various brakes of this style no bother.

It would seem like its actually a good design feature to stop the levers snapping in a crash, as the ball just releases from the socket under pressure, rather than having anything break.

• Advertisement

Enduro wrote: »
    Actually, you should be able to push that back in yourself. It's a ball and socket type connection (you can see the spherical shape at the end of the rod). You just have to do what it takes to manouvre the ball over the socket and push hard until it snaps in. I've done this several times with various brakes of this style no bother.

It would seem like its actually a good design feature to stop the levers snapping in a crash, as the ball just releases from the socket under pressure, rather than having anything break.

You need to remove a tiny circlip to do this, removing isnt the issue, putting it back in is, as when you reassemble there isnt much room.

By all means shove it back in, but its not going to be a fix Id be happy to guarantee.

I tried to push it back in and used quite some force but didn't work. Should I push it more or I can actually break something?

AstraMonti wrote: »
    I tried to push it back in and used quite some force but didn't work. Should I push it more or I can actually break something?

I guarantee you that something else will break, although you have nothing to lose by doing so. Look into the master cylinder where the plunger goes, take the circlip out and it should pop back in. If it has pulled out IMO the socket is damaged and wont hold the plunger effectivley, personally I dont **** about with brakes, they have to work all the time, the only way to guarantee a proper fix is a new lever, those parts are so small, its not worth the time/effort to take em apart, inspect for damage, and reassemble provided there is no damage. If there is, you will have to source parts which will be a pain.

Its not a failsafe either, brake levers by their nature bend up and down in a crash, there should be a limiter behind the lever to stop it over extending the wrong way. Its a crap design and a issue Ive only ever seen with tektro.

Thanks Kona.

Advertisement