Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Snow Leopard / Time Machine Questions

Options
  • 19-01-2011 12:39am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20

I'm a bit of a Mac newbie but loving it so far ... and would never go back !

I am about to upgrade to Snow Leopard (have cd) and in advance I want to back up all my files using time machine and looking for some advice. I haven't used time machine before but I assume I will need an external hard drive which I dont have.

Would appreciate any advice re time machine first use & setup, external hard drives for mac etc.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

Just so you know you won't lose any files when you upgrade from leopard to snow leopard.

But yeah safe than sorry with time machine :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

It's easy. Just get an external drive. FireWire 800 is fastest connection but you won't be troubled with USB 2. Just don't bother with filevault. I've just experimented with encrypting my drive and found out that the best features of time machine don't work. Long story but it's on hour 6 of decrypting at moment.

Anyway after you have time machine running your machine runs continual incremental backups for you without worry. Then if you want to find a deleted file you just enter time machine and then go back a day, week or whatever in the finder galaxy and find the file.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Backing up your data before updating your OS is good practice. Regardless you should always be making regular backups.

There's an article on Time Machine on the Apple website that should get you up and running. :)

Apple - Mac 101: Time Machine

Advertisement