Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Migrating Geese

Options
  • 18-01-2011 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

I was in west Dublin this evening and I noticed what looked like a large flock of migrating geese flying in their usual V formation. It looked like they were flying towards the East. I was wondering is it usual to see migrating Geese over Ireland in mid January?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Some geese move around locally. They may have feeding grounds by day and roosts by night.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

I was in west Dublin this evening and I noticed what looked like a large flock of migrating geese flying in their usual V formation. It looked like they were flying towards the East. I was wondering is it usual to see migrating Geese over Ireland in mid January?

Migrating geese fly really high, they would be dots. Geese flying at "small plane height" or below are local mov ements, as Mothman said, probably Brent Geese.

LostCovey

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

Any large flocks of geese around Dublin are Brent Geese. They roost in Dublin Bay and can be seen flying too and from inland feeding sites during the day. Had a flock of 800+ flying over the N32 at Clare Hall this morning, an impressive sight.

Can be Greylag in Wicklow, see them moving inland by day and roosting at coast at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Drop the Ball

Thanks for the feedback. The geese were flying at about 300 to 400 feet in two flock, the main flock had 30 to 40 geese flying in V formation and a smaller flock of about 15 flying in parallel. I was interested to know more as I cannot recall seen them flying like that at this time of the year before.

Beautiful to see.

Do they have feeding grounds inland or would they be moving from coast to coast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,721 ✭✭✭pawrick

Possibly saw the same flock

two groups flying close to each other - I guessed up to 50 max not familiar with geese but they looked like the pics of brent geese from the internet. I didn't take a really good look as I was leaving out food for the birds in the garden at the time and the honking drew my attention up as they came.
    They passed over Irishtown heading in the direction of Ringsend Power Station and the nature reserve.

I forget what time they started doing this last year but they used to make lots of noise each morning flying over head. Yesterday was the first day I noticed them do this in a good while.

There is a flat fenced off field near the power station that I have seen geese in a few times - I don't walk there often so can't say how regular that is.

eidt this was between 13:00 and 16:00 yesterday

Do they have feeding grounds inland or would they be moving from coast to coast?

Very little movement from coast to coast this time of the year, just a few ringed individuals have been spotted crossing between east and west coasts. Any birds you see over Dublin will be moving to green grass feeding sites all around the city and returning to Dublin/Baldoyle Bays to roost.

Here's a pic of Brent feeeding in a Dublin park

picture.php?albumid=695&pictureid=8522

They become very tolerant of humans and you can get very close to them, but they don't like dogs!

Do they fly away from dogs, or do they actually confront them?

Mothman wrote: »
    Do they fly away from dogs, or do they actually confront them?

They fly, they are hunted by arctic foxes in Canada, so they are very wary of 4 legged predators.

• Advertisement

They fly, they are hunted by arctic foxes in Canada, so they are very wary of 4 legged predators.
    Thought it had to be that way, but I'd confirm.

So loose dogs probably have a a bit of fun raising them

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭foolelle

brent geese coming into land on sandymount strand @ approx 16.50 Tuesday.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,469 ✭✭✭Mr_Roger_Bongos

Apologies Im not an avid bird watcher so this question may be ridiculous, mods feel free to close if that's the case.

Recently i've noticed birds, including today, flying west in V formation. Just thought it was a strange time to see them, saw this pattern in December as well. Thought it used to happen in Autumn and they'd return in spring.

I always associated birds flying in V formation with migrating birds. Is this not the case?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I always associated birds flying in V formation with migrating birds. Is this not the case?

In migrations this can be a very impressive sight but several birds flying together may form a v formation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 809 ✭✭✭Ditch

Geese may fly like that at any time of year.

Threads merged

Ditch wrote: »
    Geese may fly like that at any time of year.

yeah its to do with areodynamics.........

"The V formation greatly boosts the efficiency and range of flying birds, particularly over long migratory routes. All the birds except the first fly in the upwash from the wingtip vortices of the bird ahead. The upwash assists each bird in supporting its own weight in flight, in the same way a glider can climb or maintain height indefinitely in rising air. In a V formation of 25 members, each bird can achieve a reduction of induced drag by up to 65% and as a result increase their range by 71%.[1] The birds flying at the tips and at the front are rotated in a timely cyclical fashion to spread flight fatigue equally among the flock members. The formation also makes communication easier and allows the birds to maintain visual contact with each other."

source ; wikipedia

foolelle wrote: »
    yeah its to do with areodynamics.........

:eek: I'll be ....! I've never heard that before! That's incredible!

Next time a skein comes over, I'll be thinking; " I know what ye doing, ye crafty sods! " :D

:eek: I'll be ....! I've never heard that before! That's incredible!

Next time a skein comes over, I'll be thinking; " I know what ye doing, ye crafty sods! " :D

polite!! :rolleyes:

beleive it or not not everyone who reads these threads is an expert including myself.

Eh ....? Forgive me, Foolelle, only I suspect ye mean, by that response, that ye thought I was being sarcastic?

If so, let me please reassure ye that I was actually being completely genuine!

I've never before heard an explanation of why geese fly like that ~ I guess it's a bit like why / how kestrels hover? One just grows up knowing they do it and accepting it.

But the explanation you brought us was truly fascinating and completely new to me. Crafty geese. I love it! :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,388 ✭✭✭gbee

I've never before heard an explanation of why geese fly like that ~ :D

I did not mention it in my reply because I thought it was common knowledge. I was going to but didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 447 ✭✭Connacht

I enjoyed watching 560 Barnacle Geese at Termoncarragh Lake in Mayo yesterday. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,636 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Connacht wrote: »
    I enjoyed watching 560 Barnacle Geese at Termoncarragh Lake in Mayo yesterday. :)

Yeah - Erris is a great spot for that kind of thing. Was there a few weeks ago and saw loads of BG as well a some Greylags with dozens of Brent feeding on the shoreline nearby:)

PS: Also reports of Pinkfoot geese in the area recently:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 9,509 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

They fly when dogs chase them Mothman. When they are migrating they are that high up and there are that many of them it looks like smoke. Not very impressive until you realise what they are!

Hey, if you are interested in coming up to see them, PM me, I am really familiar with the area, just went for a long walk on the mudflats a while ago. If I am around I could drive you to the best spots.

(I'm no expert though, just know the area pretty well)

Connacht wrote: »
    I enjoyed watching 560 Barnacle Geese ..... :)

Connacht; I'd enjoy watching One! Barnacle geese are ~ to me ~ simply the most enchanting little things :)

Brent? Brent. Pale Bellied Brent. 'Black Brant'. Been there. Done that. Got the bloody T Shirt.

Barny? Sure I've ticked one. Farlington Marshes (Hampshire) or in Norfolk? Can't remember now. Must have a note, somewhere.

But, seeing them for the very first time, WFT at Arundel, Sussex? Talk about love at first sight! :D So small! Like little rugby balls with black feet beneath them and black, pecky heads on the ends of long necks.

Love 'em! :)

Advertisement