Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Chain Problem

Options
  • 18-01-2011 9:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,698 ✭✭✭

I have a felt z100 and its recently had a problem with the chain.
    whenever i coast or free wheel, the chain sags alarmingly, nearly scraping off the chain-stay. If i pedal backwards it sags altogether and comes off.
    There is no problem when cycling normally .

Any advice/solutions etc? is all it needs a good clean? hopefully i can avoid going to the lbs as i really need it to get around.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Why are you pedaling backwards?

Check your jockey wheels, but honestly it could be lots of things. Bring it in to your local bike shop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 339 ✭✭SurferDude41

My guess is, the freehub body ( in the rear wheel) needs some attention.
    Unless you have a good knowledge of bicycle mechanics, bring it to a good bike shop.

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭Super Freak

Or the deraileur spring is knackered or covered in crud?

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭100Suns

I suspect one of the pawls in the free hub stuck open or the spring has dropped out. It's a quick fix-most decent LBSs will sell pawls or will fix it for you. 10 minute job.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 endamurtagh

Or the deraileur spring is knackered or covered in crud?

After cleaning out the deraileur, give it a good spray of WD40, along with the sprocket set and work it. if that works put some regular oil on and it should be good to go.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Freehub body would be my guess too, simple to check.

Advertisement