Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Iomega Factory Outlet

Options
  • 18-01-2011 3:33pm
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 4,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Just seen that Iomega has a factory outlet some great prices there compare to normal price on their regular, haven't compare to other websites.

Eg: Home Media Network Hard Drive iomega only €66.90 for a 1.0TB normal price shows as €169.00

Delivery €15.50

Use code IOMGROUPSCH15 for 15% discount or item not Delivery.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭Connrang

Nava,
    Thanks nice one. I'm a great fan of Omega products and was only looking at this item yesterday in Easons.
    Keep these bargains coming :D

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

if ya can find a cople of other people who want buy the savings can work out great.

Got 3 of those drives just after xmas which meant free delivery and had a 10% discount code which meant the drive only cost 60 euro's each delivered.

Have been using now and it's great only thing that annoyed me was it is actually only 930gig's i knew it would never be the full 1tb but 70 gig's is a lot to lose.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,495 ✭✭✭Abelloid

I bought one before Christmas, very handy, and a great price. I just hope it doesn't burst into flames or something in a couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭exspes

racso1975 wrote: »
    if ya can find a cople of other people who want buy the savings can work out great.

Got 3 of those drives just after xmas which meant free delivery and had a 10% discount code which meant the drive only cost 60 euro's each delivered.

Have been using now and it's great only thing that annoyed me was it is actually only 930gig's i knew it would never be the full 1tb but 70 gig's is a lot to lose.

its the conversion 1000 bytes = 1 kilobyte, 1000 kb = 1 mb and 1000mb = 1 gb instead of 1024 which results in the loss. it's a standard loss throughout all hard drives, my 1TB hard drive is 931, my 500 gb is 465, the bigger the hard drive the bigger the loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

exspes wrote: »
    its the conversion 1000 bytes = 1 kilobyte, 1000 kb = 1 mb and 1000mb = 1 gb instead of 1024 which results in the loss. it's a standard loss throughout all hard drives, my 1TB hard drive is 931, my 500 gb is 465, the bigger the hard drive the bigger the loss.
    This is standard measuring practice with hard drives since the late 90's and has been getting growing acceptance as the standard for measuring disk sizes for the last few years.

Kibibytes, Mebibytes and Gibibytes are now the standard for the *1024 measurements, and Kilo, Mega and Giga are for * 1000 measurements.

You don't actually lose more for bigger drives - not proportionally anyway. If you're assuming 1TB = 1,024 GB, then you'll lose 3% of the drive space. When the drive is formatted then, you lose another 4.5% (ish, depending on the OS). So in reality, no matter what size drive you buy, there'll be a 7-8% difference between the Gigabyte size and the Gibibyte size.

• Advertisement

seamus wrote: »
    This is standard measuring practice with hard drives since the late 90's and has been getting growing acceptance as the standard for measuring disk sizes for the last few years.

Kibibytes, Mebibytes and Gibibytes are now the standard for the *1024 measurements, and Kilo, Mega and Giga are for * 1000 measurements.

You don't actually lose more for bigger drives - not proportionally anyway. If you're assuming 1TB = 1,024 GB, then you'll lose 3% of the drive space. When the drive is formatted then, you lose another 4.5% (ish, depending on the OS). So in reality, no matter what size drive you buy, there'll be a 7-8% difference between the Gigabyte size and the Gibibyte size.

So 70 /> 35?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

does it play H.264 video format ?

according to this review it doesn't

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=111609&pn=2

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭waxer1986

anyone know wat the reconditioned multimedia drives are like??
    http://go.iomega.com/en/products/factory-outlet/reconditioned-multimedia-drives/?partner=4725
    i dont think they support mkv files couldnt see it anyway..
    and which one would be better to buy if any at all...thanks:D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,302 ✭✭✭positron

That particular network drive sounds ideal, but on further research there's some horror stories on the net - see the comments on this review for instance. Also selling for $99 in Amazon.com with mixed reviews.

http://www.crunchgear.com/2009/02/12/review-iomega-home-media-network-hard-drive/

Not sure now. I was thinking I could have this one connected to the router, and have a 2gb external drive hooked to this, solving my backup voes.

So 70 /> 35?
    seamus wrote:
    not proportionally anyway
    :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

I would never buy iOmega hard drives again - I had 2 that died causing catastrophic data loss both within 6 months of each other. 1 was a 1TB (16 months old when it died) with a PSU and the other a 320GB USB powered one (I think 6 months old when it died). Neither were subjected to any abuse except for occasional transport from my house to someone elses. And these are re-conditioned ones? No thanks!

:)

my question wasn't about proportionality.

35 < 70 = True

1TB > 500GB = True

More space is lost in formatting a 1tb hard drive than a 500gb hard drive = True

Proportion wasn't mentioned in my post = True

The bigger the hard drive the the bigger the loss = True, refer to obviously True statements to clear up any confusion about the size of numbers and proportionality.

musicmonky wrote: »
    does it play H.264 video format ?

according to this review it doesn't

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/index.cfm?reviewid=111609&pn=2

It's a NAS drive, it doesn't play anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭musicmonky

JustinOval wrote: »
    It's a NAS drive, it doesn't play anything.

im talking about this

http://go.iomega.com/en/products/factory-outlet/reconditioned-multimedia-drives/screenplay-plus/?partner=4725#where_to_buyItem_tab

whats the remote for , if it doesn't play anything?

musicmonky wrote: »

That's not what was linked in the OP, you're talking about a completely different product.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

It has NOT been getting growing acceptance. It is more widely understood and resented.

With computers memory was always measured in multiples of powers of two.

It's just the marketing gimps thinking they are doing something worth while.
    When in reality formatting a 500 GiB drive will give you near to 500GB of space. Formatting a 500GB drive will result in your OS reporting a far smaller amount of free space :mad:

The marketing gimps should be made explain this difference to every customer who complains about it.

Thing is if everyone used the same measurements then there would be no advantage in pimping a few % extra

Technically since HDD's have spare sectors then they could include them in the size even though they are only accessible by the HDD itself

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,954 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The bigger the hard drive the the bigger the loss = True, refer to obviously True statements to clear up any confusion about the size of numbers and proportionality.
    The bigger the measuring unit the bigger the discrepency.

For terrabyte drives it's 10% ( marketing speak for 9.995% )

Kilo = 1024 (2.4%)
    Mega = 1048576 (4.9%)
    Giga = 1073741824 (7.4%)
    Terra = 1099511627776 (10%)

Yotta = 1208925819614629174706176 ( 21% )

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Alot these drives are cheaper in peats,

It has NOT been getting growing acceptance. It is more widely understood and resented.

With computers memory was always measured in multiples of powers of two.
    And someone incorrectly attributed the words "Kilo" and "Mega" to the front of them, which are S.I. standard measures of thousands and millions, respectively :)
    In the industry, most people now know the difference and many people are starting to use the correct terminology. It's actually quite an important distinction when you're dealing with storage and networks.

I do agree though that salespeople/manufacturers are slow/reluctant to explain the difference and will often abuse the ignorance to misrespresent their products.

It's nearly Bricks and Mortar time.

There, I've said it.

• Advertisement

And someone incorrectly attributed the words "Kilo" and "Mega" to the front of them

yea cause no one knew what i ment...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭aido 1976

Easons are doing an Iomega 1TB at the moment for €74.99

Dont know how the specs stack up with this one though.

The are also doing a Seagate 1TB for the same price

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

jesus the media version is so cheap pity its sold out.

i gave the mail email to notify them when its back in.

i might just pick up a normal 1tb for 35 mad cheap

nava wrote: »
    Just seen that Iomega has a factory outlet some great prices there compare to normal price on their regular, haven't compare to other websites.

Eg: Home Media Network Hard Drive iomega only €66.90 for a 1.0TB normal price shows as €169.00

Delivery €15.50

Use code IOMGROUPSCH15 for 15% discount or item not Delivery.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,716 ✭✭✭brightkane

Just ordered one of these so back on sale again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,267 ✭✭✭kc66

I was very tempted to buy this 500gb portable for €39.16 shipped. Chickened out at the final hurdle. Have loads of Ext HD space. I could do with a portable one though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,325 ✭✭✭✭ednwireland

what a rip off
    was going to buy a 500 gb portable drive £27
    wouldnt let me ship because i was on the uk site so whet to the irish site €89.90 :eek:

finally found them resetting the page was sending me out €29.90 +shipping sold out though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

What about ScreenPlay Plus Multimedia Drive, 1.0TB Reconditioned for €69 delivered?
    Anyone got any experience of these? I am looking for a bit more storage for backups of my music and photos and DVD collection so thought this would be ideal as it will plug in to my TV too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

The Screenplay Plus will not play H.264 files - which is a disaster. I picked up a Director HD last week, and it's pretty good, has a bug in that it won't play the audio with 1080p files though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,794 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

I picked up a Director HD last week

Did you get that reconditioned from the factory outlet?
    I might wait for one to show up as I see it has an Ethernet connection and seems to play a lot more stuff

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭roboshatner

return it mate
    The Screenplay Plus will not play H.264 files - which is a disaster. I picked up a Director HD last week, and it's pretty good, has a bug in that it won't play the audio with 1080p files though.

Advertisement