Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog run Wexford

Options
  • 18-01-2011 12:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭

Hi everyone,

I am looking to find a dog run for my little gal. She is a Westie X (not sure what she is crossed with as at 7 months she is already bigger than your average Westie). I am starting to look around for a dog run for the garden. She likes running around in the back garden but always managed to find (or make) holes in the fence and run accross the road to play with the mastiff next door. I am terrified she is going to be hit by a car so I have been keeping her in a lot.

Can anyone recommend somewhere that sells dog runs? Somewhere in the South East. Our garden is mainly grass so something that is possibly moveable would be great

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Go2Guy

Hi hi
    I was in a similar position 9 months ago, I have 2 black lab collie crosses. I spent months looking for the retail ones but found them expensive. I also wanted to give them more room. The biggest problem I would have had with those runs however is the animal can dig under them. I ended up building one myself. I put stakes in the ground and put up chain link wire with about 3 or 4 inches buried in a small channel of concrete. They can't dig under them and I made it long enough so they can run up and down it as they please. I made some mistakes with it too so if you want more detail that's no prob.

G2G

• Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

Thanks for that.

I have a feeling that she would probably dig under them also. I was wondering if putting paving slabs under it might do the trick but that seems a bit bleak for the dog

You would have to set them in concrete or she will move them eventually. The biggest lesson I learned was how they can shift almost anything if they have all day to do it! If you can source the fencing at a reasonable rate, the posts are very cheap and you might need some help with the actual building but all in all it is a reasonably cheap way to do it. It is semi-permanent in that you can't move it (so would yours if you decide to use slabs) but if located in the right part of your garden she will be much happier out in the elements. One of my mistakes was putting mine in the shade of a neighbours shed so they miss out on winter sun...I'm raging over it to be honest! Location is critical though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Yeah these are the retailing runs I was talking about. I just found these a little "restricting". If a dog can't actually run in it then it's hardly a run. Wire can be expensive but posts and concrete are very cheap. You'll build one double the size of their biggest for less than half the price. By the way anamaria, you can forget about the grass under the run...she'll take great pleasure in wearing it away :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

I will need to buy a run eventually, for when I go to the shops or something and cant be in the house for whatever reason, was looking at a few that had no roof, they did say escape proof because "we use 6ft fencing" but I did notice that in their pictures they had a Dog kennel which I guess could be used to stand on by the dog and then a quick jump to freedom.

ISDW what size would you recommend for a Malamute? I was in someones house that had a mal in a small 1 meter run and felt it was very small even to leave the guy for just a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

hayses modular or cilldara.ie most places that do galvanised runs tend to deliver some nationwide, avoid the pet safe one you can get in hardware shops etc. it's so flimsy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 60 ✭✭Jubo

Woodies in Waterford are doing dog runs - they looked fairly heavy duty but were around the 300 euro mark I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Think the ones in Woodies are the pet safe ones, they have big gaps at the doors and the chainlink is a tad flimsy. I was going to get them but they weren't solid enough I found. I know someone with a small dog that has one and seems to work fine for them depends on the dog though and how much of a houdini they are.

I will need to buy a run eventually, for when I go to the shops or something and cant be in the house for whatever reason, was looking at a few that had no roof, they did say escape proof because "we use 6ft fencing" but I did notice that in their pictures they had a Dog kennel which I guess could be used to stand on by the dog and then a quick jump to freedom.

ISDW what size would you recommend for a Malamute? I was in someones house that had a mal in a small 1 meter run and felt it was very small even to leave the guy for just a few hours.

It depends how long the dog is then for I think. My lot go into the kennels to be fed, and then for an hour or two after, to let their dinner settle. The indoor bit varies between 6ft x 6ft and 18 ft x 6 ft and the outside runs vary between 6ft x 6ft to 15ft x 6ft. If I have to leave them in there for any length of time for any reason, they stay in the big ones, but after feeding I don't want them running around.

So, if they are left in there, they have 12ft x 15ft, whatever that is in metric:confused::P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 198 ✭✭anamaria

thanks for all the replies.

I am having a few problems trying to decide on this. I am in rented accommodation (family property though so no problems really) so I don't want to put down anything that can't be moved (ie. using cement or anything) and I don't want to spend several hundred euro on something that she will dig her way out of.

ISDW: Have you had any problems with digging?

anamaria wrote: »
    thanks for all the replies.

I am having a few problems trying to decide on this. I am in rented accommodation (family property though so no problems really) so I don't want to put down anything that can't be moved (ie. using cement or anything) and I don't want to spend several hundred euro on something that she will dig her way out of.

ISDW: Have you had any problems with digging?

With sibes and mals? Oh yeah:D My runs are concrete based though, so they haven't tried in there but the field is full of holes for me to fall into:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Wexlady44

I'd love to know where or how to get a decent large run too. I had a petsafe one a few years ago, when I first got my dog, but I found he would try anything to get out and hurt himself a few times in the process. So I bought a long lead and he has been tied out on that during the day and seemed quite happy.

Unfortunately, tonight he was badly attacked by what seems to have been (based on his injuries) another dog. He is being kept overnight by the vet, having had several large wounds stitched.

So now I am afraid to leave him out just tethered, as he is too exposed to a repeat attack. I can't leave him locked in the house all day. A run seems the only option.

Have any of you tried the slaneyside ones? They look quite good on the website, but then so did the petsafe one.

Wexlady44 wrote: »
    I'd love to know where or how to get a decent large run too. I had a petsafe one a few years ago, when I first got my dog, but I found he would try anything to get out and hurt himself a few times in the process. So I bought a long lead and he has been tied out on that during the day and seemed quite happy.

Unfortunately, tonight he was badly attacked by what seems to have been (based on his injuries) another dog. He is being kept overnight by the vet, having had several large wounds stitched.

So now I am afraid to leave him out just tethered, as he is too exposed to a repeat attack. I can't leave him locked in the house all day. A run seems the only option.

Have any of you tried the slaneyside ones? They look quite good on the website, but then so did the petsafe one.

Hi
    I read this last night and was sickened. I hope your dog is ok.
    If you or someone close to you has the means to build a run, that's my advice. If you have a few extra euros then buying one is definitely easier and I have no problem with that. But you can build one to your own design and make it whatever height you want (preventing escape). Also you can make it slightly more secure.
    Anyway, I hope your dog makes a full recovery,
    Regards,
    G2G

Wexlady44 wrote: »

I haven't used the Slaneyside ones, but they are the same as the ones I have got, and they are great, very sturdy. Other companies make them around the country - www.cilldara.ie I got mine from Beechview, based in Antrim http://www.kennelruns.com/ or if you know a local welder or fabricator, you could ask them to make them. It depends on whether your dog is a climber or not, whether you go for the bars or the mesh type.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Wexlady44

Thank you for your replies.

Dog is home, on painkillers and antibiotics. He is sleeping and drinking but not eating yet (I'll have to keep an eye on that). I think maybe the home built run sounds like a great idea... if I can get someone to build it for me.

Thanks again for you replies.

Advertisement