Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catalytic Converter for 1.4 02 Astra (failed NCT emissions test)

Options
  • 18-01-2011 11:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭

Hi All,

Above car had NCT this morning and failed miserably for CO levels on the emissions test. I was worried that this would happen though as I think my cat is knackered. Engine diagnostics light came on bout 6 months ago, diagnostics hook up said problem with cat, light was switched off and didnt come back on again so Ive chanced it til now.

I guess my question is, any idea where or how much to get the cat replaced for this model....also considering its a bitch of a cat, in that it is connected directly to the manifold i think

Cheers

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kos1976

Hi Kopfan77,

Had Opel dealer check out my 2001 1.4 Opel Astra yesterday for rear crank seal oil leak while also knowing that the engine emissions light has been on for approx. 6 months.

Dealer says oil leak was least of my worries (he quoted €360 for that) and that my catalytic converter is beat and needs replacement, quoted me approx. €800 for the part alone.....
    They said it will not pass NCT next time. I was willing to give it a go since it passed last time with the light on. But after reading your post I think I might get caught out.

Am going to get quotes from local garages now to see difference.

Cheers,
    kos1976

• Registered Users Posts: 9,248 ✭✭✭Plug

Post up the results of the emissions test. You don't know if its a cat....

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭kopfan77

Plug wrote: »
    Post up the results of the emissions test. You don't know if its a cat....

Low Idle: CO Above 0.30% is a fail. I came in at 0.68%
    High Idle: Lambda spec is between 0.97 and 1.03. I scraped in at 1.02
    CO above 0.20% is a fail. I came in at 0.94%

As mentioned, the diagnostics test a while back pointed to the cat so I made the assumption that was my problem. The car also sounds pretty gruff at times also so that kinda confirmed it to me.

I spoke to an Opel dealer yesterday also and he quoted €800 also...f*$% that!!
    micksgarage.ie quoted me €390 delivered...obviously not fitted lol
    Spoke to a guy yesterday also, independent garage, quoted me fitted for €490

Advertisement