Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Little idea

Options
  • 18-01-2011 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭

What would people think about Boards musicians doing a (or a couple if it goes well) single a year for charity? We could have boardsies doing every part of it from engineering it to playing etc and whether its 1 a year or 3 or whatever, we could rotate the people involved so everyone is a part of it at some stage. Think it would be good for a few reasons. Firstly, if its for charity sure thats obviously good. Second, we could see if us boards members have the power to influence the might of the Irish charts :) And third, we could have a release party each time and meet everyone we talk to here and finally put faces to screen names. What do ya think?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Actually, i should have probably cleared this with the mods first. Apologies! Feel free to remove it if neccessary but as you are the guys in charge here, would also love to hear what you think of it and if it could work.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 DvFrn

Nice idea! would you use something like indaba music to get it together?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

sound like a decent idea to me, if the mods agree to it, it could do well, i'd def give it a go, as for trying to get recording done, try using Audacity and then emailing in between, prob through soundcloud or myspace(two most popular)

if a couple of dubs can put some plastic bags, mix rap and irish lingo and storm the charts, that should b enough to encourage people to try it for themselves

• Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Thats a very good idea man. See who's in, meet up, throw in whatever, see how it evolves and hopefully surprise ourselves. I'll be seeing how this thread developes, good stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭TeddyTedson

RC88 wrote: »
    sound like a decent idea to me, if the mods agree to it, it could do well, i'd def give it a go, as for trying to get recording done, try using Audacity and then emailing in between, prob through soundcloud or myspace(two most popular)

if a couple of dubs can put some plastic bags, mix rap and irish lingo and storm the charts, that should b enough to encourage people to try it
    I think they're from Limerick but you're right.

Would be cool, doesn't take too many sales to get in the Irish top 100
    either!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,699 ✭✭✭deathrider

Great idea, and considering the sheer vastness of this site, I'm kinda surprised nobody has thought of this before. I'd be willing to help out, if at all possible. Charity songs= Xmas time for release, I'd imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭Fingers Mcginty

I was working on a guitar melody there this morning. I could record and post it up...something simple maybe like intro then verse 1/verse2 chorus verse 3 chorus bridge chorus outro ...I'll try a take now

link

Obviously very rough and ready :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 212 ✭✭RC88

I think they're from Limerick but you're right.

Would be cool, doesn't take too many sales to get in the Irish top 100
    either!

sorry, they just sounded like dubs to me, glad 2 see u agree though

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

This thread is fine with me anyway. There was a Boardstock in the past and there is a Boards Band forum so your idea isn't as off the wall as you might think :).
    Fandango wrote:
    put faces to screen names
    That's what this thread is for.

• Advertisement

Malice_ wrote: »
    This thread is fine with me anyway. There was a Boardstock in the past and there is a Boards Band forum so your idea isn't as off the wall as you might think :).

That's what this thread is for.

Cool, good to see there is a bit of interest. Alot would have to be organised for it from promotion, sales, what charity to go for etc. And of course some way of deciding who plays what and also where or how it is recorded. Also what genre to make it as obviously there is a wide variety of tastes here.

Probably first thing would be people to put themselves forward with the instrument they could play and once we have gotten the players together, we can take it from there. For who plays the first one, how do peeps think we should decide? Vote? Share instruments as much as possible? Any ideas?

Anyway, if people put themselves forward and state what they can do, ill add them into a single post and we will see how many overlaps there are on instruments. Also say where you are from so we can see about meeting up and whether that will pose a problem.

Ill start anyway:

Instrument: Bass Guitar and Backing Vox

I threw up a song there...Did you not see it.
    Surely it's worthy a response no:confused:

Oops, missed your second post. Saw the one saying your going for a take but didnt see the next one! Havent got speakers on this computer but ill have a listen on the one upstairs when i get a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭alabalascala

Hi there Fandango

Since you brought the idea to Boards did you have a charity in mind??..and if a song was going to be penned then it might help the writer or writers get their head around the lyrics and melody a bit more or maybe you were thinking it doesn't have to be associated at all with a Charity?

Nice idea well done

Paul

Hi there Fandango

Since you brought the idea to Boards did you have a charity in mind??..and if a song was going to be penned then it might help the writer or writers get their head around the lyrics and melody a bit more or maybe you were thinking it doesn't have to be associated at all with a Charity?

Nice idea well done

Paul
    Hi Paul,
    I didnt have any particular charity in mind. If we do it around Christmas, we could maybe put it towards the Santa Strike Force thing that Boards already do if its cool with them. If its a different time of year, we can vote on suggested charities or something here. To be honest the thought just popped into my head yesterday so i threw it out there to see if there would be any interest without any set ideas as to how to go about it so very much open to suggestions.

Fingers, listened to the track there. Sounds good man. Like the chords in the intro especially.

fancy throwin' a bass line down? I have the original audacity files but am unsure of how to get them to ya. :confused:

what a waste of bloody time .....good luck

what a waste of bloody time .....good luck
    Jesus, chillax a little there. Anyway, we havent even got the members yet so i think its a little early to talk about recording at this stage.

Anyway, if anyone who is interested can PM me their details (what you play, where your based, preferred genre, anything else you think may be relevant) and we can see if it would be possible to get this running. After that, if there are any clashes of instruments, we can discuss a way of deciding who plays but hopefully everyone who wants to will have an input. The more instruments the better also so if you play keys/trumpet/violin or basically anything, we would love to hear from you. After we have enough members, we can meet for a jam and see what we can come up with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 334 ✭✭DOTHEDOG

count me in played for 20 years in a reggae and ska band also play other stuff if it helps

maybe if you kept it there :mad:

• Advertisement

DOTHEDOG wrote: »
    count me in played for 20 years in a reggae and ska band also play other stuff if it helps

Sweet, can ya PM me your location and what ya play? Not alot of messages from people yet so dunno if this will be a go or not but theres no hurry on it so we can wait and see.

Did ya get my pm

I did, replied to ya just now. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Anthony222

Nice idea, count me in if ye want a guitarist;) fairly adequate;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Mar kk

sounds like an excellent idea , fair play!

Female vocals
    Kilkenny

no Problem travelling .
    Would be up for doin harmonies/ backing vocals:)

So far we have 3 Guitarists, 2 Bassists, 5 Vocalists (Including Backing Vox) and 1 Lyricist so would love to hear from some Drummers/Keys/Strings/Brass and anything else that could add to it. Dont worry if we already have people for your instrument as the more the better. We can always disect the song and give different parts to different people and the more from the forum involved, the more it represents the musicians from Boards.

Advertisement