Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Horse

Options
  • 17-01-2011 11:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Hi, Just wondering if anyone could advise me, hope to be getting a horse who has been broken and is riding, but has not been ridden for a while because of the bad weather. She is very good on the ground and I have been on her myself and she is very quiet. My question is would I get any benefit of sending her straight to a professional for 8 weeks who could work with me aswell or leave it until she has settled in at my home. I don't know what to do for the best. I could hack her out on the roads at home or in the fields. Also she is just going to be a hacking horse and not do anything else. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

I think, considering she will only be used as a hacking horse, your best bet will be to let her settle in before getting her schooled. How much working does she need done?

If she is just going to be a hacking horse, really it's just fitness that needs to be built up, unless she has a bad mouth or is not schooled at all i.e. doesn't walk, trot, canter and bend on command.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

Hi,thanks for your reply,:) she does walk, trot, not too sure about canter, She bends both ways and is very good at stopping where you want her to. She also stands still at halt and does not fidget. She has been on the lunge also. She has been hacked on the roads but has not seen much traffic. As they drive where I live like lunatics, I might be wise to seek help from a professional.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,548 ✭✭✭Ave Sodalis

Do you have, or able to rent a field near the road?

If so, this will allow the horse to get used to the traffic driving up and down. Then feed the horse (if needed) at an opening beside this road, encouraging her to remain close to traffic.

I'm afraid the only way to get her used to traffic is experiance. Lead her out in hand if you have to for the first week or two, if you do not feel confident on her.

You shouldn't need to spend money on professional training for hacking.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Horsemania

Thanks for that, she will be in a field next to a main road, although the hedges are very high, she will certainly hear the traffic. I was thinking of walking her in hand each day just to get her used to the route we will be going, and she will have to get used to the dogs along the road also. You are right I did not want really to have to fork out €110 per week to have her schooled, not just yet anyway. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 leather

Just be aware though that no matter how quiet or used to traffic she gets it still might not be safe to hack her if this is the case. No matter how quiet the horse some one can still fly around the corner into the back of you. Also, I dont think leading her in hand to get her used to it is such a good idea if it is a busy/dangerour road. Maybe you could keep her on livery for a couple of weeks where there are quieter roads and gradually get used to her there.
    Safe hacking whatever you decide:)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Whichever way you go make sure you wear plenty of hi-vis gear both for you and your horse. Stay safe

Advertisement