Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jury duty summons

Options
  • 17-01-2011 11:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭

Hi all,

I received a summons for jury duty in the post today. It was the 1 week I was dreading it would happen when I opened the envelope, I have to travel to the US that week for training with work, and have flights and hotel booked since last Friday. They cost 1 and a half grand and are paid for. I really need to go to this as it is important for my day to day job.

Do you think if I explained to the court people the situation that they would excuse me? I could provide them with my booking confirmations, etc.

Thanks for any advice in advance

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,339 ✭✭✭tenchi-fan

tronman wrote: »
    Do you think if I explained to the court people the situation that they would excuse me?

Yes

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭tronman

tenchi-fan wrote: »
    Yes

What do I need to send them? I'll send them back their form, with a letter pleading my case and maybe a copy of my flights and hotel itinerary?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,898 ✭✭✭✭Ken.

if you have the time go in person to the clerk of the court with the summons and your travel details. plead your case. they should let you off it.

lucyfur09 wrote: »
    if you have the time go in person to the clerk of the court with the summons and your travel details. plead your case. they should let you off it.

I was going to call them in the morning to talk to someone. Do you think that would do any good? I'm very stressed out about this now because I'm afraid I'll end up getting a summons myself for not turning up or worse!!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭thebuzz

tronman wrote: »
    I was going to call them in the morning to talk to someone. Do you think that would do any good? I'm very stressed out about this now because I'm afraid I'll end up getting a summons myself for not turning up or worse!!
    They will let you off no problem, no need to stress about it. Just show them your flight details and it'll be done.

If worse comes to worse, get a cert from a doctor and you're guaranteed to get off that way. But the flight confirmation will be fine.

• Advertisement

Ok thanks for the advice mate, I'll do that. Hopefully should do the trick! I'll let you know how it goes.

Advertisement