Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Research Study

• 17-01-2011 9:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Im doing my research study for the leaving cert at the moment. Im really stuck on what topic, ive had a few but they didnt work out for me.. my teacher is no help at all she says we need to do it on our own :mad:

I was thinking maybe Rosa Parks later life & influence..or History of Ku Klux Klan. Any opinions????:confused:

Sorry for the long post.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭nuggetclv

Hi,
    Our teacher goes on at length about this RSR, with powerpoints and handouts every week. I did mine on.. "George Washington: His Life and Role in the American War of Independence" !

Anyway, you've got to be specific in your title and essay. "Rosa Parks: Her Later Life and Influence" would be a good one, but it's also good to consider doing someone/something that's not on the LC course. I've heard everything from Che Guevara to the burning of houses in Westmeath in the 20's! You could do the history of a building, a person, event, war, whatever..
    Words like 'influence' are good to have in your title, as they show that you've gone about proving something. It's shows good (historian) skills if you can prove something to be true or false or whatever. e.g (at random), could be whether you think such a battle like the 'Tet Offensive' was the deciding battle of the whole war. You can argue this and say 'source A said.., Source B agreed, source C disagreed' or whatever and draw your conclusion. It's good to start with a quote from such a person involved or the person you're reseaching. Then you can use it to introduce the whole essay and set the tone. Finish with one aswell.
    We were told not to use wikipedia as a source. You have to have at least one book source.

Hope this post isn't too long, but I've heard about the RSR so much I know the talk off by heart! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

Heres one, how about the breakout from the Maze Prison(long kesh) in the north? Largest breakout from a British jail ever, very interesting and there are some good documentaries on it and interviews with Gerry Kelly on youtube.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_Prison_escape

Or you could do what I did Mers el kebir, after France surrendered to germany Churchill sent his ships to blow up the French navy killing hundreds of frenchmen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 Leylz

nuggetclv wrote: »
    Hi,
    Our teacher goes on at length about this RSR, with powerpoints and handouts every week. I did mine on.. "George Washington: His Life and Role in the American War of Independence" !

Anyway, you've got to be specific in your title and essay. "Rosa Parks: Her Later Life and Influence" would be a good one, but it's also good to consider doing someone/something that's not on the LC course. I've heard everything from Che Guevara to the burning of houses in Westmeath in the 20's! You could do the history of a building, a person, event, war, whatever..
    Words like 'influence' are good to have in your title, as they show that you've gone about proving something. It's shows good (historian) skills if you can prove something to be true or false or whatever. e.g (at random), could be whether you think such a battle like the 'Tet Offensive' was the deciding battle of the whole war. You can argue this and say 'source A said.., Source B agreed, source C disagreed' or whatever and draw your conclusion. It's good to start with a quote from such a person involved or the person you're reseaching. Then you can use it to introduce the whole essay and set the tone. Finish with one aswell.
    We were told not to use wikipedia as a source. You have to have at least one book source.

Hope this post isn't too long, but I've heard about the RSR so much I know the talk off by heart! :)
    Thanks or all the info!! Your lucky, our teachers useless.
    Since writing the last post Ive been looking at Himmler..his early life, his rise in the nazi party, his betrayal of hitler ? Is this too broad do you think?

Leylz wrote: »
    Thanks or all the info!! Your lucky, our teachers useless.
    Since writing the last post Ive been looking at Himmler..his early life, his rise in the nazi party, his betrayal of hitler ? Is this too broad do you think?
    Way too much. Pick one event or aspect. The hardest bit is keeping it within the wordcount.

What level are you doing?

MUSSOLINI wrote: »
    Heres one, how about the breakout from the Maze Prison(long kesh) in the north? Largest breakout from a British jail ever, very interesting and there are some good documentaries on it and interviews with Gerry Kelly on youtube.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maze_Prison_escape

Or you could do what I did Mers el kebir, after France surrendered to germany Churchill sent his ships to blow up the French navy killing hundreds of frenchmen.
    To be honest Im trying to stay away from Irish history.. but the french one sounds interesting! Did you find good sources for it?

• Advertisement

To be honest Im trying to stay away from Irish history.. but the french one sounds interesting! Did you find good sources for it?
    Why are you staying away from Irish history? Personally I tink doing something which kinda ties in with your topics(you doing NI?) will greatly help with your understanding of said topic, 2 birds with one stone type of thing.

Yeah, I used 4 books, wrote near 10k words, then edited it down, broke my heart to throw it away like that. Churchill himself has a chapter on it in his memoirs.

Way too much. Pick one event or aspect. The hardest bit is keeping it within the wordcount.

What level are you doing?
    Higher Level & Im in 6th year now so Ive left it waay too late. People I know in other schools have had theirs all done in 5th year.

Higher Level & Im in 6th year now so Ive left it waay too late. People I know in other schools have had theirs all done in 5th year.
    I did mine around the same time as yours, I did 3 of them, 2 in fifth year which were crap, then my final one, once you get going you will have it done in a weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9 elarkla

From what my teacher told us, we have to avoid anything that is on the course, so for that reason Rosa Parks might not work.

Something about the Blanket Protest, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_protest could be interesting??

Or if you're interested in the Black Civil Rights Movement, maybe Rev. Glenn Smiley (a white reverend who joined the campaign for black civil rights) could be a good one?

To be honest, you'll probably begin looking at something quite broad and then narrow down your final title as possible areas of study emerge during your research...

Hope that helps, becuase I know that project can be a pain!! ;)

Why are you staying away from Irish history? Personally I tink doing something which kinda ties in with your topics(you doing NI?) will greatly help with your understanding of said topic, 2 birds with one stone type of thing.

Yeah, I used 4 books, wrote near 10k words, then edited it down, broke my heart to throw it away like that. Churchill himself has a chapter on it in his memoirs.
    Yeah did NI and hated it, dont find it interesting at all ! 10k? Thats loads! I will look into that tomoro night! :)

• Advertisement

Yeah did NI and hated it, dont find it interesting at all ! 10k? Thats loads! I will look into that tomoro night! :)
    Way too much, got carried away :(

elarkla wrote: »
    From what my teacher told us, we have to avoid anything that is on the course, so for that reason Rosa Parks might not work.

Something about the Blanket Protest, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blanket_protest could be interesting??

Or if you're interested in the Black Civil Rights Movement, maybe Rev. Glenn Smiley (a white reverend who joined the campaign for black civil rights) could be a good one?

To be honest, you'll probably begin looking at something quite broad and then narrow down your final title as possible areas of study emerge during your research...

Hope that helps, becuase I know that project can be a pain!! ;)
    Thanks for that, Yes a big pain!! Hoping to chose a definite topic tomoro night!

Way too much, got carried away :(
    Better than having nothing to write about! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Meller

I don't think doing something that ties in with the course is a great idea unless you're genuinely interested in it - you have to pick something so specific that at most you'd be using it for a paragraph or so in an exam essay, so it's not hugely useful. I think the research topic is better seen as an opportunity to look at something you actually want to do yourself - it'll be easier to research that way and might reflect in your final essay too. Though if you love a certain aspect of the course anyway and want to look into it more, that would be convenient.

To pick, I'd look at things you're interested in in general and try to put a historical angle on it? For instance, if there are any old films, musicians, writers, artists, etc. that you like that had some sort of impact. Or if you're interested in sport, you could do something on the GAA, Olympic games, etc... something that you like already *will* be relevant somehow, you just have to find the link.

Meller wrote: »
    I don't think doing something that ties in with the course is a great idea unless you're genuinely interested in it - you have to pick something so specific that at most you'd be using it for a paragraph or so in an exam essay, so it's not hugely useful. I think the research topic is better seen as an opportunity to look at something you actually want to do yourself - it'll be easier to research that way and might reflect in your final essay too. Though if you love a certain aspect of the course anyway and want to look into it more, that would be convenient.

To pick, I'd look at things you're interested in in general and try to put a historical angle on it? For instance, if there are any old films, musicians, writers, artists, etc. that you like that had some sort of impact. Or if you're interested in sport, you could do something on the GAA, Olympic games, etc... something that you like already *will* be relevant somehow, you just have to find the link.
    What about Leonardo da Vinci? something on him maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

I'm doing mine around a similar time frame. The influence of the Kennedy brothers in the Civil Rights movement 55-64.

It's very enjoyable, I'm not doing the american history book for my course. So on the off chance something on Kennedy, Parks, King or civil rights comes up as a question in the LC under that section.I have a triple back up.

Do something you will get really into. I first thought of Irish emigration in the 1950'S due to family links. Looking back on it, * sideshow bob step on rake *

SDTimeout wrote: »
    I'm doing mine around a similar time frame. The influence of the Kennedy brothers in the Civil Rights movement 55-64.

It's very enjoyable, I'm not doing the american history book for my course. So on the off chance something on Kennedy, Parks, King or civil rights comes up as a question in the LC under that section.I have a triple back up.

Do something you will get really into. I first thought of Irish emigration in the 1950'S due to family links. Looking back on it, * sideshow bob step on rake *
    Ive just been informed today the the first draft of my essay needs to be in for thursday so im really panicking now!! Need some ideas of topics ''/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭SDTimeout

Yeah i done my first draft over christmas and got it back with quite a little amount of the dreaded red pen. Not the best at History under time circumstances but when i had the 5-6 hours to really work at that i was as smug getting it back. Slight altercations to be made and I'll be ready to sign off on only 2/3 drafts. Lowest in my class.

Best of luck, I really like being a History student if only for how small a group we often are. The sympathy people seemingly have for us while doing History.

I could throw out a few ideas if you like ?
    Cuban Missile Crisis ?
    A boy in my class is doing a fantastic essay on Che Guevara
    The Katyn Massacre is also a good topic.

Just find something that writing about will be fun. Excess of it, while it can be heartbreaking to have something you found you thought to be really cool cut out. It's just an all round pleasing experience to have it done. Best of luck

SDTimeout wrote: »
    Yeah i done my first draft over christmas and got it back with quite a little amount of the dreaded red pen. Not the best at History under time circumstances but when i had the 5-6 hours to really work at that i was as smug getting it back. Slight altercations to be made and I'll be ready to sign off on only 2/3 drafts. Lowest in my class.

Best of luck, I really like being a History student if only for how small a group we often are. The sympathy people seemingly have for us while doing History.

I could throw out a few ideas if you like ?
    Cuban Missile Crisis ?
    A boy in my class is doing a fantastic essay on Che Guevara
    The Katyn Massacre is also a good topic.

Just find something that writing about will be fun. Excess of it, while it can be heartbreaking to have something you found you thought to be really cool cut out. It's just an all round pleasing experience to have it done. Best of luck
    I was supposed to have it done then aswell but I had so much other homework that I completly forgot :( Thanks for the ideas though, The Katyn Massacre sounds quite interesting but would I need to do an aspect on it or narrow it down..?

I was supposed to have it done then aswell but I had so much other homework that I completly forgot :( Thanks for the ideas though, The Katyn Massacre sounds quite interesting but would I need to do an aspect on it or narrow it down..?
    I would repeat my first suggestion, the jailbreak.

Maybe you could do it on a battle from ww2? Just pick one and write about it. or you could do it about rudolf hess and how he flew to england to negotiate peace, was branded a madman by hitler, then a hero, and spent the rest of his life in jail, fascinating character.

• Advertisement

I would repeat my first suggestion, the jailbreak.

Maybe you could do it on a battle from ww2? Just pick one and write about it. or you could do it about rudolf hess and how he flew to england to negotiate peace, was branded a madman by hitler, then a hero, and spent the rest of his life in jail, fascinating character.
    Ok so if I chose the jailbreak could I just write out everything that happened, like all the deatails?
    Or Rudolf Hess..write about everything you just mentioned about him? (He sounds very interesting actually)
    I wouldnt have to narrow them down?

Thanks for these suggestions!

Ok so if I chose the jailbreak could I just write out everything that happened, like all the deatails?
    Or Rudolf Hess..write about everything you just mentioned about him? (He sounds very interesting actually)
    I wouldnt have to narrow them down?

Thanks for these suggestions!
    yeah I would just write about the details of the jailbreak, or you could pick one man who escaped(I would pick Gerry Kelly) and write about him, and the political ramifications(propaganda for the IRA)

Or Rudolf hess, its up to you really. Read the wiki articles on each and pick what you find most interesting.

yeah I would just write about the details of the jailbreak, or you could pick one man who escaped(I would pick Gerry Kelly) and write about him, and the political ramifications(propaganda for the IRA)

Or Rudolf hess, its up to you really. Read the wiki articles on each and pick what you find most interesting.
    I have been reading about both and I think I'll go with Hess, with 'Rudolf Hess-Hitlers Deputy' as my title or something along the lines...
    Thanks you so much for your help, much appreciated!!

Advertisement