Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Network issue.

Options
  • 17-01-2011 8:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭

Having a wierd issue that I can't figure out.

I have a Airport Express connected to my router which serves a wireless signal to the rest of the house.

I then have an Airport Extreme in another room, with a Mac Mini & XBox connected by ethernet. The mini is setup as a HTPC. I usually connect to this via screen share to move files etc. Since Christmas I've been loosing the Mac Mini from the network.

If I boot the mini it connects to the network, torrents download, internet works fine.

But, after a few minutes it disconnects itself from network, no internet, cant be accessed by screenshare etc.

There are no screensavers on, power management settings on etc. Everything is up to date, 10.6.6 on all systems.

I just did a wipe of both airports and my router and its still happening. Everything else on the network works fine.

Can anyone shed any light on whats going on?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

I'm having a very similar problem since I updated to 10.6.6 on my MacBook Pro.

Boot the Pro, connects fine to network. Close lid and sleep. Open lid and try to connect, won't connect. Cycle Airport, manually connect, nothing. Network Utility shows a valid IP address.

Its a problem with the OS. Its happened at home and at work. The only way to get it to connect is if I shutdown completely (Strangely reboot doesn't work)

EDIT: Seems sporadic. Working at home at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Both of you start your computers and when you have an connection check the IP address you're both assigned. Then, when it fails, cold-boot and then check what IP address you both get.

Tell me if it's the same you were assigned before or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Both of you start your computers and when you have an connection check the IP address you're both assigned. Then, when it fails, cold-boot and then check what IP address you both get.

Its the same.

Just checked with IP scanner aswell. When it disconnects ie cant be reached, or connect to the net. But IP scanner still sees it. Very strange.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,235 ✭✭✭Odaise Gaelach

Can you assign yourself a static IP address in your router? Preferably one that's different to your current one, and not in use by any other devices?

Can you assign yourself a static IP address in your router? Preferably one that's different to your current one, and not in use by any other devices?

Will have a look at that.

• Advertisement

Always get a new IP. Very strange as the two networks it has occurred on are extremely different. One is home, other is a large corporate network (Encryption isn't an issue)

Seems to be the AirPort times out. It sends but doesn't receive. Router can't be at fault as the same thing happens on completely different networks.

Done. Still happening

I tried a SMC and a PRAM reset. It seems to have worked.

Advertisement