Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anything to Dissolve or Breakdown Dog Poo

Options
  • 17-01-2011 6:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭

I've a large dog pen and 4 dogs, during the bad weather the poo built up and i cleared it out as best as i could, the ground is fairly hard, I tried racking it up with not much success, i've been going round with a shovel doing it by hand.

I was wondering if there is anything to disolve dog poo, would quick lime or anything that i can spray or put in the pen to help break it down and dissolve it

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭portgirl123

we had the same when snow melted, my dogs r indoor but go out outside to toilet. we just picked up as much as pos, swept as much as we could of what was left and powerhosed the rest. took a bit of effort but it did the job.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Ive never heard of anything tbh. The worry with quick lime (calcium hydroxide) is if your dog is coprophagic (poo eater) it could cause mouth burns or poisoning and tbh the effort of sprinkling this would be only be a tiny bit less than actually picking it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

I think a power hose would be your best bet, that's what I use for my garden with 3 dogs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Redlegend7

In maxi zoo in tallaght I got this green bucket with an acellerater in it for decomposing the dog poo you put in it, works a treat. You make a hole in the ground for the bucket and when you have dog poo to get rid of , open the lid and pop it in and it's gone very quickly. Delighted with it, costs about 30 euro, well worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

Redlegend7 wrote: »
    In maxi zoo in tallaght I got this green bucket with an acellerater in it for decomposing the dog poo you put in it, works a treat. You make a hole in the ground for the bucket and when you have dog poo to get rid of , open the lid and pop it in and it's gone very quickly. Delighted with it, costs about 30 euro, well worth it
    does this thing last very long, what do you put in bucket, does it have holes at the end of bucket,
    i normally spick it up with a small spade and flush it down toilet, and if there is some stuck, i spray it with parazone and leave it a while and then mop it up, i have a mop and bucket speciially for the dogs area, and wash it down daily and wash beds once a week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

We have 2 large pens. 4 dogs 2 in pens 2 out the garden. We just shovel it all up into a bag and pop it in the bin. Then hose and sweep the garden with detol or Jyes Fluild. Leave a fully nice smell :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

Yeah, After the snow things where bad for me too, my backgarden is about 17 feet long and I had to go searching for the poo and pick it up with tissue and put it in a bag, it was heavy when I finished, I would say a bit over a bag of sugar. The power hose would be no use to me as most of my garden in grassed over.

It would be great to have dung beetles come and remove all the poo for me....if only.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Yeah, After the snow things where bad for me too, my backgarden is about 17 feet long and I had to go searching for the poo and pick it up with tissue and put it in a bag, it was heavy when I finished, I would say a bit over a bag of sugar. The power hose would be no use to me as most of my garden in grassed over.

It would be great to have dung beetles come and remove all the poo for me....if only.

It's much easier if you buy some nappy bags (or special dog poo bags, but nappy bags are cheaper) put your hand into the bag, pick up the poo and pull the bag off your hand and tie a knot in it. No tissues to rip through. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,531 ✭✭✭kildareash

jacknife wrote: »
    I've a large dog pen and 4 dogs, during the bad weather the poo built up and i cleared it out as best as i could, the ground is fairly hard, I tried racking it up with not much success, i've been going round with a shovel doing it by hand.

I was wondering if there is anything to disolve dog poo, would quick lime or anything that i can spray or put in the pen to help break it down and dissolve it

Thanks

If there is such a thing, it would actually by my dream product right now!
    I love my pups to bits, but I'm not so fond of their poo!

+1 for nappy bags tho!

Advertisement