Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Oppertunities out of Ireland

Options
  • 17-01-2011 6:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭

I was asked this and I genuinely could not answer it.

Would I go abroad for the Summer to get some studio work/experience?

Background:
    I hold a Higher National Diploma in music production. I am doing a degree in music tech now.
    Last Summer I ran a small rehearsal/recording studio and got one album recorded and mixed and a fair bit of rehearsal interest. I would be up for that again if I could get busier. Last Summer it was nothing ground breaking. Just breaking even and gaining my own experience.

I am beginning to get more interest for next Summer regarding the studio, albeit small. So the question was asked. I was advised not to tie myself down to the little studio.

So, my question is what is out there for someone like me?
    Jetting off to the US or something suitably not Ireland and finding some audio work?

Thanks,
    bbk

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

check the jobs section on gearslutz. there's usually about 5/6 "intern wanted" posts a day from USA. quite a few for short term and summer work too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,790 ✭✭✭PaulBrewer

Great idea BBK.

If I was in your position now I'd certainly consider heading to one of the great (or maybe once great) recording centres like LA, Nashville, New York or London.

Owen Lewis from Limerick did that exact thing and assisted Michael Beinhorn in LA for a year and is now back recording in Limerick.

DO IT!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,904 ✭✭✭GTE

The thought of LA does sound nice for some reason.

Of course a lot of research would have to go into it.
    I have a couple of weeks off and I may go for a nice google soon and see what I can find out.

Would there be any places in the great or once great cities that you would recommend Paul?

Ill keep track of gear slutz too. I have to be realistic over the few months I will only have to spend there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

I was thinking about this a few months ago, whether there would be more opportunities abroad.

Had a look at gearslutz and a studio in Atlanta caught my eye. They seem to be actively looking for interns and the studio itself has a great list of users.

It's encouraging to say the least, especially if I change college course next year to this area which I'm really hoping to do.

Advertisement