Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Heater question

Options
  • 17-01-2011 3:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭

Can I ask a question here please, Not sure if my heating is working properly, comes on for a short while and seems to switch off, have a 10 year old Hymer B-544, to get my heater working do I need a supply of water in the storage tank, obviously yes for the boiler, I am a bit confused with the control panel, heading to Kenmare this weekend.....thanks Charles

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Bogman, I've moved this post to a separate topic.

Is the boiler not separate from the heater? The heater fan controls (if I remember correctly) has an automatic thermostat and a permanently on setting, turn it to the permanently on to test.
    Also, the batteries may need changing, there's two AA batteries in a wee box in the heater unit.
    Perhaps I'm way off the mark but worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭Aidan_M_M

Hi lads , if it's a Truma Combi and 10 years old, yes it should have water in it. How long is a "short while"?

Simplest wayof knowing one from t'other is the vent , if it's like this it's a Combi.
    http://www.leisureshopdirect.com/product_images/34000-33600_lge.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,327 ✭✭✭bogman

Thanks for your assistance lads, just photographed the vent outlet and the control unit

166380_1688103837149_1074276521_1869261_7835330_n.jpg

165643_1688115037429_1074276521_1869304_5044597_n.jpg

The storage tank was more or less emptied before the cold spell, will fill to 1/3 level on Friday, from memory with the tank empty the heating only came on for 20 or 30 secs, maybe less

Should have disconnected the leisure batter under the passenger seat, think its on its last legs, connect the mains supply to the camper, this should charge the battery if it is ok, would 5 or 6 hours be alright?

If the battery is shot do I need a deep cycle one, would a 100 ah be sufficient, plan to do some portable ham radio work in the months ahead.

Thanks for your help people.....

thats the older Combi , either a C3400 or C6000 probably.

That type of heater/boiler shouldn't be ran without water in it for more than about a half hour. So says Truma.

The way it's acting sounds like an over temp sensor acting up.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

As a matter of interest, is this heater run off gas.........have you got sufficent pressure in your gas bottle?
    Im guessing that after 20 or 30s the system realises that it is not working and is then giving the error light?

Might be totally off the mark though

• Advertisement

Malta1 wrote: »
    As a matter of interest, is this heater run off gas.........have you got sufficent pressure in your gas bottle?
    Im guessing that after 20 or 30s the system realises that it is not working and is then giving the error light?

Might be totally off the mark though

No . spot on there , and the regulator might be frozen too.. Yes it is ran off gas.

Could be lack of pressure though the gas hob is operating fine, no problem cooking, have to gas bottles "european type" they can be filled in Forge hill locally, appreciate your comments & assistance

Good news abt the heater, working perfectly, 1/2 filled the water storage tank and fired it up a short while back, left it running for 20 mins, leisure battery's been on charge for about 8 hours, removed the drivers seat & it reads abt 15v when charging, did a quick check under a small load, charger off, all interior lights on, operated the door step a few times, went and checked the battery voltage and it doesnt seem to have dropped, will let the camper plugged into the mains overnight, the battery is a Delta gel model, didnt remove it yet but aprox size is 355*175*190 high

maybe the leisure battery was a bit low , the heater cuts out when the voltage drops to 10.5.

re charging , 15v is a bit high.

• Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Malta1

Aidan_M_M wrote: »

re charging , 15v is a bit high.

Ah....."but isnt it better to be looking at it than looking for it" :D

• Advertisement

Hey , that's my line! lol

Actually.... not really in this case. too high a voltage reading can mean the battery is being overcharged , which will "boil" off the acid .

All working well, trip to Kenmare yesterday, battery charged perfectly and heater works fine, thanks for your help everybody

Advertisement