Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tips for paint coverage please

Options
  • 17-01-2011 2:42pm
    Registered Users Posts: 58 ✭✭

I am painting white emulsion over a dark red colour on interior walls. I am using dulux vinyl matt and it looks like it might need a fifth coat to achieve proper coverage. Is there an easier/quicker way? Is there a better brand of paint I could be using? Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,247 ✭✭✭Juwwi

I am painting white emulsion over a dark red colour on interior walls. I am using dulux vinyl matt and it looks like it might need a fifth coat to achieve proper coverage. Is there an easier/quicker way? Is there a better brand of paint I could be using? Many thanks in advance.

The paint your using is fine its one of the best on the market.

Are you letting it dry properly between coats as 5 seems a bit much but
    it would take a minumun 3 or possibly 4 anyway tho so 5 isnt the end of the world realy.

Just put plenty of paint on and spread it out well and you should be fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,385 ✭✭✭cardwizzard

Dulux is an OK interior paint. Since you are putting the fifth coat on its probably not worth your while changing the brand at this stage.

Reds are bright yellows are difficult to cover. In the future save time by using a top quality paint. Some have two coat coverage guaranteed!! Reds or yellows. By going to B&Q you will not get these paints. However in the future it will save time and money. One problem you may have is that you are trying to cover a silk finish. These are difficult as the paint is difficult to penatrate and runs of slightly. Matt is alot easier to cover.

Phil.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

I find that painting on a white base coat with some cheap paint,like Woodies own brand or BnQs own brand does the trick with dark colours.

Then you are free to paint what ever colour you want to and it usually only takes 2 propperly applied coats of paint to get a nice flawless finish.

make sure your paint brush/paind pad/roller brush is propperly loaded with paint at all times and doesnt run dry,as this will leave faded and patchy spots on the wall and naturally the darker paint underneath will show through it.

Advertisement