Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BBci player on your Desire HTC!

Options
  • 17-01-2011 9:32am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭

Is it possible? :)

It certainly is a lot of the time! Follow steps on below

Use Skyfire as your web browser. Go to BBC i player homepage, pick what program you want to watch , make sure the setting "load pages as " is on desktop, or default setting works as well.

When you click the program you want to watch you will get a green arrow icon, you need to click to download the content link, press this , then you will invariably get the message " not available in your region etc". At this point you press menu and the video icon will appear on bottom left of page (this is built in Skyfire controls) click the video button and hey presto it will load your content and you are up and running. The odd time it may time out or say media type not available but redo the steps and it will work.

I stress I am using a Desire HD and i cannot vouch for this working on any other handset! Also it will not play mature content as using the skyfire platform it prohibits you from pressing the "agree to mature content" button when prompted, as in built browser controls block it out. There may be a way around this also!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

kgt272 wrote: »
    Is it possible? :)

If you know how to get it to work on a computer then it's at least as much effort as that.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,089 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

iPlayer works fine on both my Android devices. You'll not be able to download the licenses to play the videos unless you are in the correct geographical location at the time, although you can then play them afterwards wherever you happen to go.

In better news, there was mention a while back on something I saw on beeb news that they are thinking of introducing a paid for option for foreigners. They just hadn't quite figured out what model to use such that it wouldn't be classed as making a profit or not spending the license fee correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

I connect to my work VPN (london), and play through that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 73 ✭✭kgt272

Idleater wrote: »
    If you know how to get it to work on a computer then it's at least as much effort as that.

Actually got it to work on my HTC desire HD, location Cork city, no obtaining false IP addresses or anything like that or anything complicated or dodgy. Will play almost everything except something that has mature content i.e "come fly with me" but pretty much everything else, few things you have to do all right , nothing major , but everything else just works ok, for me anyway!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Saadyst

Actually got it to work on my HTC desire HD, location Cork city, no obtaining false IP addresses or anything like that or anything complicated or dodgy. Will play almost everything except something that has mature content i.e "come fly with me" but pretty much everything else, few things you have to do all right , nothing major , but everything else just works ok, for me anyway!:)

...Don't suppose you'd like to share?

• Advertisement

He uses VPN, simple.

srsly78 wrote: »
    He uses VPN, simple.

No Actually I don't, and I just stumbled across it by chance, far from a whizz kid I am , think its just a bit of a loop hole, so would love to share.

Use Skyfire as your web browser. Go to BBC i player homepage, pick what program you want to watch , make sure the setting "load pages as " is on desktop, or default setting works as well.

When you click the program you want to watch you will get a green arrow icon, you need to click to download the content link, press this , then you will invariably get the message " not available in your region etc". At this point you press menu and the video icon will appear on bottom left of page (this is built in Skyfire controls) click the video button and hey presto it will load your content and you are up and running. The odd time it may time out or say media type not available but redo the steps and it will work.

I stress I am using a Desire HD and i cannot vouch for this working on any other handset! Also it will not play mature content as using the skyfire platform it prohibits you from pressing the "agree to mature content" button when prompted, as in built browser controls block it out. There may be a way around this also!

Actually got it to work on my HTC desire HD, location Cork city, no obtaining false IP addresses or anything like that or anything complicated or dodgy.

So I was correct then. It was exactly as difficult and as possible as if you were using a computer. :pac:

I hope you got it working after you posted the thread question, because if you asked a question knowing the answer and then provided the answer later to make you seem smart that'd be lame.

Not that I insinuate anything of the sort. :)

Get yourself a VPN anyway, so you can torrent on Eircom :)

So I was correct then. It was exactly as difficult and as possible as if you were using a computer. :pac:

I hope you got it working after you posted the thread question, because if you asked a question knowing the answer and then provided the answer later to make you seem smart that'd be lame.

Not that I insinuate anything of the sort. :)

No definitely not, not my style, at that stage I had went into BBC i player to load some content and it prohibited me from doing so , I just used the Skyfire web browser and it was pure chance after that post that i got it to work, exactly like I said in my posts - so how does something that you got by pure fluke make you look smart.

Anyway, just wanted to share my lucky findings!:) Also , when you said it was exactly as difficult and as possible as when you are on a PC I assumed you were talking about VPN and false IP address websites etc as you did not elaborate. There is nothing difficult about this method!

What method do you use on the PC like a web broswer or something?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Get yourself a VPN anyway, so you can torrent on Eircom :)

Eircom don't block torrents, although The Pirate Bay site is blocked by Eircom, piratebay torrents work absolutely fine.

Tried it again with Skyfire browser settings set to Desktop and has no problem with any of the shorter type shows like Eastenders, Ready Steady Cook, Top Gear, James May Toy etc etc but for any longer films i.e Narnia etc seems not to work. Just remember to press the green down arrow button , then the message of not available in your region will appear , then press the menu and the skyfire video button bottom left screen then it will load the video in skyfires separate window , then press play - sorted! :)

No definitely not, not my style,
    No prob, I was just joking with you. I know a few people that like to show they "know things" by basically doing just that, asking you a question and just as you are about to answer they basically turn around and say "is it ....." and ream off a textbook answer - I consider this lame.

What method do you use on the PC like a web broswer or something?
    My initial post was as brief a response as allowed by your extremely brief OP. I could have yammered on and on about setting up xyz proxy/vpn etc but I had (have) no idea how technical you are so I basically left it open. If you knew what I was getting at (which you did) I would be pointing you in the right direction to a both solutions (which you did).

You also correctly determined the easiest option to try is to use a browser to test the connection to see how far you get without having to resort to proxy/vpn.

Credit where credit is due, you got it working. I also tried the skyfire browser (desire) and while it does load the iPlayer when I try to play the video (Zen as a test) it gives me back the "not accessible in your location" error. I am connecting over WiFi - eircom dsl. I was expecting this, as that is the same error I get using a web browser on windows.

PogMoThoin wrote: »
    Eircom don't block torrents, although The Pirate Bay site is blocked by Eircom, piratebay torrents work absolutely fine.

Yes but they snoop on you, and will cut you off if record companies complain.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭Chet T16

Yeah but you'll get a warning first!

I set this up (proof of concept only, i don't use torrents)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭nedd

I just tried the method with Skyfire on my regular Desire and it worked, just watched some Top Gear there.

nice one!

No prob, I was just joking with you. I know a few people that like to show they "know things" by basically doing just that, asking you a question and just as you are about to answer they basically turn around and say "is it ....." and ream off a textbook answer - I consider this lame.

Credit where credit is due, you got it working. I also tried the skyfire browser (desire) and while it does load the iPlayer when I try to play the video (Zen as a test) it gives me back the "not accessible in your location" error. I am connecting over WiFi - eircom dsl. I was expecting this, as that is the same error I get using a web browser on windows.

Cheers! not a bother, i see what you were saying!

However I have success over eircom DSL using my method outlined. I also get yje not accessible in you location error! However the key is to open up the link in the skyfire stand alone video window after you get this not accessible error! Follow the steps I outlined and it should work no problem , people already reporting success on this thread already using that method!:)

However I have success over eircom DSL using my method outlined.

Cheers, will try again so...

Yes but they snoop on you, and will cut you off if record companies complain.

Sorry, get Your facts straight.
    No they don't snoop on You, they have your ip address as they provide it to You in the first place. The music mafia employ a third party to spy on You, the third party then join the torrent (legally, they have permission from the music mafia, the owners) and take note of all the ip addresses connected to that torrent. All Eircom do is accept that list, match it to their list and send warnings. Eircom are the only people who have a record of who was using that ip at the given time. The music mafia or the 3rd party don't get that information as its highly confidential, and its the reason why most cases brought against ISP's get thrown out.
    Eircom just made this out of court deal to save them further expense in future, saves them a fortune in legal fees fighting off the mafia.

Yeah yeah whatever, they still cut you off. Proper solution = don't use eircom.

• Advertisement

Yeah yeah whatever, they still cut you off. Proper solution = don't use eircom.

I have Eircom, They don't warn Me :p

There are many other ways to download, torrents are just one

I also tried the skyfire browser (desire) and while it does load the iPlayer when I try to play the video (Zen as a test) it gives me back the "not accessible in your location" error. I am connecting over WiFi - eircom dsl. I was expecting this, as that is the same error I get using a web browser on windows.

Zen is one of the ones that will not work along with larger shows like Narnia etc , but Eastenders, top gear, Magicians etc seem to work no problem. So youre dead right there that show will not work

• Registered Users Posts: 898 ✭✭✭OREGATO

Thanks op, just tried it and works a treat! Perfect, just watched a bit of top gear there!

Zen is one of the ones that will not work along with larger shows like Narnia etc , but Eastenders, top gear, Magicians etc seem to work no problem. So youre dead right there that show will not work

***Correction*** everything seems to work now, I restarted my phone, maybe some other applications running interfere or something I dont know. Just got Narnia and magicians working after I did a restart, can be temperamental but definetely works!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,984 ✭✭✭Johnny Storm

....! Also it will not play mature content as using the skyfire platform it prohibits you from pressing the "agree to mature content" button when prompted, as in built browser controls block it out. There may be a way around this also!
    I'm getting stuck at this step specifically in the case of Zen. Any suggestions?

I'm getting stuck at this step specifically in the case of Zen. Any suggestions?

I'm afraid anything with mature content its impossible to get that box ticked, its so frustrating after actually getting that far!:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 pandabrian

Expat Shield is free software that gives a VPN and UK ip:

http://www.watch-bbc-iplayer.com/

pandabrian wrote: »
    Expat Shield is free software that gives a VPN and UK ip:

http://www.watch-bbc-iplayer.com/

Thats a Windows executable, what good is that on Android?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,297 ✭✭✭Ron DMC

kgt272, you are a hero. I'd never have thought of using Skyfire's built in video player. Very handy indeed.

Have it working on my Galaxy S on o2 3G.

• Advertisement

Ron DMC wrote: »
    kgt272, you are a hero. I'd never have thought of using Skyfire's built in video player. Very handy indeed.

Have it working on my Galaxy S on o2 3G.

Pure fluke to be honest in stumbling across it this way but am glad that people are enjoying it on their Android based phones!:)

Advertisement