Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Facilities for exams.

Options
  • 16-01-2011 11:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 827 ✭✭✭

Hi, could somebody tell me where our exams for the summer are? What sort of provisions will be made available to us? And will we all be crammed into lecture halls with people squashed up behind us?

I am wondering about this as I recently did my first MCQ out of lecture time, and I can only describe the provisions made for us as dreadful. We were all jammed into Boole 2, the desks there were tiny. There were people to either side of me. It was claustrophobic. As there were a lot of calculations to be done I asked for paper. I was told they hadn't been given any paper so I couldn't have any.

We were also told that tables would be supplied. They were supplied but only if there were specific questions based on using them tables. One specific table was not supplied and we had been told beforehand that we could find a certain number by using that table or learning it off. Thankfully I had learned it off otherwise I would not have been able to get the answer.

Sorry about the rant, but will conditions improve for our 'big' exams in May?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭corcaighabu92

I think some are in the Mardyke sports hall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 558 ✭✭✭rcdk1

The summer exams are held in the likes of the Mardyke and Neptune stadium. You'll be in individual desks with something like 3 feet between you and the person on your left/right. The people infront/behind you will be slightly closer.

There's usually buses to take people to the likes of Neptune Stadium.

As for tables, been a while but they're usually supplied.... I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Exam centres include the Mardyke, Neptune, upstairs in the student centre, the mini rest, campus kitchen and the Aula Maxima. Think that's it. Plenty of space anyway, nothing like the Booles.

Tables depend on the course you're doing and the exam. I'm in third year, in first year ordinary log tables were always available for any exam (well, any of mine anyway, I'm doing engineering so you'd need em for a good few of the exams, could be different for other courses). In second year the national log tables were changed for secondary schools and gave waaaaay more formulae etc. so the college decided not to give them out any more as there was too much in them. I assume it's the same this year, but I'm on erasmus so haven't really checked since it won't apply to me.

Check with your lecturers, some attached relevant sheets from the tables (eg integrals and derivatives), some didn't and you just had to learn them off. I'd really advise you to check that well in advance, because learning off formulae that you always had access to before is not fun on top of everything else you'll have to learn in April!

Hope this helps :)

Advertisement