Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

trails rides/hacks?

Options
  • 16-01-2011 11:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭

I want to set up a website to use as a resource for people who want to go off road hacking/trail riding with their horse, as unfortunately we don't have recognised bridlepath routes in this country. I would like to compile a list of trails in every county in Ireland. I would really appreciate if people would pm me with information of trails/rides in their area. Very quite boreens or bog roads would be fine too. Long or short - it doesn't matter.

Also- is riding along the canals completely banned does anyone know? Around here not all of the banks are blocked of, does that mean we can take horses? Wouldn't it be great if there was one side for pedestrians and the other for horses?

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭granturismo

eorna wrote: »
    Also- is riding along the canals completely banned does anyone know? Around here not all of the banks are blocked of, does that mean we can take horses? Wouldn't it be great if there was one side for pedestrians and the other for horses?

Thanks.

Waterways Ireland may have a map of where horses are banned. They have signs banning horses at some sections.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭eorna

Thanks Grandturismo, I will check them out.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

<Deleted this part because I having a blonde moment!> Have you been in contact with the various le trec clubs around the country? They would have a fair idea on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

http://www.walkireland.ie/National_Trails_Office/

they're looking for more horse trails at present and put out a call a few months ago

Heres a post on the AIRC website about it

http://www.airc.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=1143:information-sought-on-horse-trails&catid=1:latest&Itemid=88

They're looking for horse riders to get proactive about having trails set up.

Thanks for all the useful suggestions people.:)
    I'm sure they'll be helpfull. I would still love to hear about more rides around the country, you can pm me .
    Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What about the Donard rides?If you pay a sub during the week ,you can ride as you like afaik,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 105 ✭✭ADDON

Really good idea Eorna

This website is going to be a looong time in the making I reckon! Although there seems to be a few private trails popping up around the country, as far as I know there are no recognised public horse trails in the Rep of Ireland. Please correct me if I am wrong. I contacted the National Trails Office and they said that they have got very little feedback from their request for information on horse trails.
    Basically there are no official trails, they have to be set up, and the National trails office don't do this. It is up to interested riders/groups to set up trails in their local area.
    So if we ever want a horse trail system in Ireland that could someday be on a par with the UK's fantastic bridlepath system, it is up to riders in Ireland to take action! :) So come on People!!!!
    The NTO said there may be funding from Local Development Boards.???
    I would love to set up a trail in Kildare. I am thinking a bog trail.......:rolleyes:
    Anyone else??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

eorna wrote: »
    I would love to set up a trail in Kildare. I am thinking a bog trail.......:rolleyes:
    Anyone else??

That would be brilliant. We need somewhere similar in Offaly. I have nowhere to ride my mare at the moment, except on roads. I would love to have somewhere interesting to go with her, and not all roads!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

What about the Munny trail in West Wicklow?Does it count for what you want? http://www.themunnytrail.com/

• Advertisement

Theres loads of potential in Offaly - so many bogs roads. T'would be great to have interconnecting regional trails like they do in the uk.

Yes . I've heard of the Munny trail alright. I know the National Trails Office are only looking for free public trails. Thanks though.
    I was in Devils Glen in Wicklow recently and saw that horses were allowed on some of the trails there. Anybody know of any other Coillte woods that horses are permitted? Might be an way to set up a trail.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Coillte are interested in money, most forestrys you have to apply for a permit each year.

On the side of canals could be an idea, horses were used to pull the barges long ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,521 ✭✭✭Kalina

Coillte are interested in money, most forestrys you have to apply for a permit each year.

On the side of canals could be an idea, horses were used to pull the barges long ago.

Yep, some good canal rides along through Bracklin and Durrow in Co. Offaly!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭fits

To be fair, Coillte are a government owned organisation, and its up to horse riders to lobby for access. After all, its our land!

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Anro

Here is a list of a few hacks around the country on another forum
    here

Excellent, thanks Anro , we should keep this up even if just ideas about good places to ride.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 43 Anro

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭monflat

coillte are sticklers you can go in on coillte and as long as you dont meet a member of coillte staff you are alright but once you go looking for permission to ride on coillte they start loooking for you to produce your public liaability insurance .

there are various places i ride along a bog which is about 3miles long and i never meet anyone but then again in a way i like to keep these to myself as the more horses are on these tracks the more walkers will complain and then what happens next - the signs go up NO HORSERIDING PERMITTED.! i only ever met 2 horses along this track

THE woods in Inistioge in Co Kilkenny are great if you want to look into that and walkers seem to be comfortable with horses.

i think though its up to individuals to suss out different woods where access is easy- but for like a trail that is not in the woods i do not know of many - like lane ways or the sort- there is always farmers land that needs to be crossed .

Advertisement