Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Divorced catholic remarrying - blessing in catholic church?

Options
  • 16-01-2011 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Does anyone know of any catholic church or priest who would allow a couple getting married, where one is a divorced catholic, to get a blessing from him in the church, the day of the wedding? Don't really mind location. Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭Diddler1977

Oreo1303 wrote: »
    Does anyone know of any catholic church or priest who would allow a couple getting married, where one is a divorced catholic, to get a blessing from him in the church, the day of the wedding? Don't really mind location. Thanks!

I have never heard of this being done. Giving a blessing is going completely against Church teaching I would imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,952 ✭✭✭magneticimpulse

The only time i know of the Catholic Church allowing a Catholic remarry (besides till death do us part)...is if you had an Enulment from the Church...in which case would not be a divorce from the State but a seperation in the eyes of the Church for some very good reason as to why you got seperated.

Im not sure if you can have an enulment from your former partner if your already divorced. Maybe if it is possible, and you can prove the wedding was not on ground basis or sound mind, then they might do a blessing.

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭gymman39

i was at a wedding about 5 years ago and the guy had been divorced and they had a blessing in the church after a registry office wedding..it was a nice touch from the priest setting it up..wasnt in their parish as far as i can remember but the priest was a friend of the grooms

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭cailinoBAC

I’d say it’s down to the individual priest. My cousin married a divorcé 10 years ago and they had a church blessing. I wasn’t there, but I believe it was very similar to a wedding but without the vows.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Oreo1303

Thanks all. I guess that's what we're looking for - a priest sympathetic to the situation. I'm sure they're out there but don't know how to fine one! I really have to hear based on experience. So if anyone knows of one, you might PM me. Thanks again.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 583 ✭✭✭xp90

OP, use the only language priests know, MONEY

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭keesa

As far as I know, because the Church doesn't recognise divorce(or annulments) it wont bless a couple it considers as adulterers. I'm not sure though.

I do know that the protestant churches do though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭mikeanywhere

It all comes down to the priest and the relationship you have with him.

I have shot weddings where the priest has had all the guests at the blessing and I am shooting a wedding where the priest is only doing the couple only

• Registered Users Posts: 2 lorwed

Hey there,
    My hubby to be is divorced and I know it's highly unlikely I'll be able to have a Catholic church wedding or blessing. I've read before that it's really up to the priest - Does anyone know of a priest in the Connaught area that would be willing to do this?

Thanks, in advance for your help.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement