Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Macbook backlight gone??

Options
  • 16-01-2011 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭

Got up yesterday morning. Opened lid of macbook and their was no light. When I lowered the brightness to nothing then back up again, it would illuminate, but over the last 24 hours or so things have gotten gradually worse.

It was remaining illuminated at 50% brightness, but now it's at the point were it will only illuminate for half a second and that's it.

I've rebooted, taken out battery, reset the pram, etc, etc.

The macbook is just over 2 years old. I've never opened it up or added anything to it. This is just something out of the blue. Ideas? Any thoughts as I type away on the brand new macbook my missus owns?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Have you tried to reinstall the OS? Have you tried to install all recent updates?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,946 ✭✭✭Banjaxed82

Thanks for the reply. Updated but made no difference.

Here's the thing though: I noticed that if I flick between brightness down and brightness up really quickly that it will remain illuminated.

Currently I have the brightness at 100% for the last 5-10 mins. Hasn't gone blank yet. I'm waiting for when it does, but does this point more towards software or loose connection issue as opposed to failing backlight?

• Registered Users Posts: 951 ✭✭✭MiniNukinfuts

Here is an apple forum discussion on what i think your problem is. Have you tried safe booting OSX? by holding the shift key on boot.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,671 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Disconnect all peripherals and boot from the install disc - see if the problem exists there as well.

This sounds like a backlight problem to me.

Advertisement