Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bitless Bridles

Options
  • 16-01-2011 9:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭

Pros and cons? Anyone on here with experience re bitless bridles, especially the Nurtural or Dr. Cooks?

Thank you.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

I used a bitless bridle when I was working with green w/bs for a few years and personally find them brilliant for hacking and general all-purpose riding and getting greenies used to having their head manipulated without immediately introducing metal. Obviously, if you're in high level competition it may not be the best fit, but for non-competition/general use purposes I do genuinely love it.

The model I used was something like this: http://www.actionridertack.com/catalog/images/bitless-bridle_cook.jpg

Was used on everything from a particularly spirited 3 y/o New Forest Pony to complete greenies to a 1,700+lb Spanish Norman and I've never experienced problems like I sometimes would by trying to introduce a bit.

EDIT: Expanding a bit; I'm a fan of 'natural' horsemanship albeit I don't like the title as it has a few connotations I don't necessarily agree with. But I have never experienced a horse balking from the bitless bridle or ever showing any indications of pain. It operates by applying light pressure via the rein pulleys to the nose which in turn directs their head; a light hand is required with the bitless and it must be fitted correctly to prevent air blockage. But with safe use the results are fantastic, you end up with a very confident, happy horse to work with and it's my preferred way of easing them into the idea of bridles and control, as with the bitless they don't initially learn that rider = pain and therefore have a considerably higher trust, in my experience.

I used them for maybe 3-4 years and would still be using them if I still worked in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

Thank you, Liah, it would be for pleasure/hacking only and for a relatively green 4yro cob (my competition days are loooong over). He is currently ridden with an egg snaffle.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Bitless bridles with shanks works by poll pressure, this with bad hands is not fun for the horse. Some don't like poll pressure at all. A correctly fitting bridle with a bit should not have any connotations of pain for the horse. An animal taught properly will lower its head to allow the headcollar/bridle to be put on.

Liah, what do you mean by head being manipulated?

Bits can be made of different materials, there are nathe and happy mouth bits, rubber bits and even leather ones!. Off the net you can get this soft latex bandage that you can put on to any bit and can cut to size.

I am well aware that the pro and con sides feel very strongly about their respective preferences.

But I ask for experiences, not opinions. But thank you for your input :D.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,750 ✭✭✭liah

Liah, what do you mean by head being manipulated?

Just simply giving the pressure via the hands through the reins to indicate to them the direction you want them to go; obviously they should have some experience of this through a headcollar, but a bridle's a bit different to that and I think it's a nicer introduction than by immediately introducing a bit, which can sometimes be a bit shocking.

Just for clarification, the bitless bridle I'm referring to is not of a hackamore (shanks) design.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

EGAR wrote: »
    I am well aware that the pro and con sides feel very strongly about their respective preferences.

But I ask for experiences, not opinions. But thank you for your input :D.

I'm aware that you've asked for experiences, not opinions and I've not used one but . . . :p

I have seen them badly used exerting a huge amount of pressure on the poll and actually encoruaging the horse to go 'behind the bit' even though there isn't a bit if you get me. I also find if used to 'make' the horse go in an outline this is exactly what it does it is forced rather than encouraged to do so with soft hands and a suitable bit. My own mare is extremely 'over-sensative' (is what I call it) and I ride her in a loose ring snaffle with huge rings and bit guards and I don't think I'd consider putting her in anything else, she is extremely aware of the slightest hand movement and I tend not to ride her if I'm having an off-day as it tends to be non-productive.

I suppose really what I'm saying is it depends both on the rider and horse, you will know best based on how the horse is with poll pressure and I imagine it would take a little while to get used to it (from the riders point of view). You haven't said if this is a horse you will be the sole person riding or if it is to be rehomed, (perhaps to an undetermined individual).

<ETA> Went and dug out the horse tack bible there to make sure I'm talking about the right one and it was the Dr. Cooks, also looked like it could be putting an awful lot pressure on the nasal bone but this could have been just apperances and actually came from the poll. Sorry now I didn't get a 'feel' for what was going on with it myself :rolleyes:. In the right hands I can see the benefit of it on some horses, especially if they are particularly in tune with leg and seat aids.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭mystika121

Hi, I have used both the 'English' Hackamore and the Dr. Cook and the horses loved them. They are both forward going horses (one was an ex - racehorse and the other a horse that had previously hunted regularly) and I had no control issues with either. I went cross country schooling in a group using the Dr Cook and the horse went brilliantly.

When schooling, the problem of the horse seeming to go 'behind the bit' even when there is no bit, can occur for the first couple of times if the rider picks up their usual contact and begins to school as normal. I find it best to introduce the bitless bridle at the end of the schooling session when the horse is warming down. Ride in walk using your legs and body to turn and then gradually pick up a light contact. Over a few days the transition to bitless will be complete. I find them excellent for ensuring that you correctly ride from your leg and not your hands!

Festina Lente completed a project where they changed their school horse from using snaffles to 'cross over bridles'. If you search there maybe some published material which should make good reading.

On another note, you may want to try a sweet iron bit with a copper lozenge in the middle. This is by far my favourite bit and all horses (especially young horses) go well with it. The lozenge ensures that the bit doesn't have a nut cracker effect which I dislike in a normal snaffle. As always though, the bit is only as nice as the hands on the reins!

I hope this post isn't too long as is of some help. Best of luck with your horse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33 rstax

Hi, I've only used a bitless bridle on one horse i've schooled before-under supervision from my boss. Was an english hackamore, and I do know that for it to be used effectively, you've to carry your hands slightly wider than normal-so it doesnt pinch the nerves on the side of their face.. Tried it afew times on that horse, and he hated it.. I think it's like any bit/piece of tack-it all depends on the horse, and the rider behind it!..

You haven't said if this is a horse you will be the sole person riding or if it is to be rehomed, (perhaps to an undetermined individual).

No, and I should have! He is mine, my own, my prrrrecious ;)! The only *recreation* I am ever likely to get for as long as EGAR is running.

Thank you all so very much, your input is much appreciated. A riding stable near me is using the Nurtural bridle with some of their horses and I will see if I can have a gander.

At present I am trying to educate myself as much as possible before I make a decision.

Advertisement