Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

turnout boots?

Options
  • 16-01-2011 8:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

Hi there,
    Just wondering with all this muck about, does anyone use turnout boots to keep legs dry and mud free?
    My fella is prone to mud fever, and at the gate is mucky mucky mucky, but the other parts of his field are well drained and dry.
    I have heard that you need to take them off for a few hours each day and cant leave them on-is that true?

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

I turned a mare out in 'normal' brushing boots for a month one time because she used to go a bit 'close', but one problem with doing that is that if the boots are left on for too long, they can rub the legs, as well as perhaps making them a bit sweaty underneath the boots (this was in the summer, though, so the weather would have been a bit hotter).

Have you tried using vaseline and baby oil? I've found the oil great for keeping mud off horses' legs and keeping the water out. I use it when hunting, as it means the mud doesn't stick to their legs and a quick brush will knock it all off by the time I get home. Vaseline in the heels is great as an extra barrier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Turn out boots are more likely to move around than brushing boots meaning they are more likely to cause damage. They are called turnout boots because they are designed for horses that are turned out, not ones that live out. Personally wouldn't leve them on for more than a few hours. The vaseline sounds like it could work but I'd make sure I wasn't trapping any moisture in as well as keeping it out.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

Shires do neoprene turnout boots, tried to get get them a while ago but didnt in the end. I just wash his legs now

Advertisement