Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Elevated bowls?

Options
  • 16-01-2011 6:08pm
    Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭

Hey guys, I'm currently feeding my dog out of an elevated bowl (being a large breed and all) but a woman in a petshop told me today that I shouldn't, that it will increase the risk of bloat. Whereas I've always been told that the elevated bowls reduce that risk. I really dont like the idea of him having to lean down so much to eat because, while only a pup now, he is going to be a big dog, but if it can cause bloat then I'm not sure i want to risk it. So elevated or not? I'm completely confused about it now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 zoe11

Hi

I have 2 large breed dogs that are fed from elevated bowls, as there is less risk of them swallowing air at this height, i would never feed my two on floor level.Everybody has different opinions and experiences of this so i would do what you feel is best for the dog.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

Probably best to ask your vet...or I think there are a couple of vets on here that may advise. I was in a pet shop one day and was amazed at the pet shop girl selling an old lady a muzzle to stop her dog from barking:confused:, so now I take everything they say with a grain of salt and just check with my vet for an important info.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

I wouldn't trust the advice of any person working in a petshop tbh. Unless they were able to show me proof that they have experience working directly with the animal you are shopping for then I would disregard anything they say.

Ask your vet or ask a breeder experienced with your breed of dog.

I have a giant breed dog and he has been fed out of elevated bowls since day one, never had a problem.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

Well to be fair, she's a really nice person, and probably the only reason I go to that shop in the first place. She has a newfie herself and told me that her breeder was the one who told her not to feed from elevated bowls. I usually trust her advice, but I'm figuring the fact that its really advice from someone else, that I might just ignore it and go on with the elevated bowls. Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭boxerly

I was always told elevated bowls are better for large breeds as they help prevent bloat?my vet said it aswell.I had them for my very deep chested boxer and he never got it thank god x

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭gossipgal08

Ask the vet its your best bet. My mums best friend has labs and feeds them from raised bowls which she bought from her vet

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

Sorry to tell you, but the lady in the pet shop was wrong.

You should always feed large breeds elevated if at all possible as it reduces the risk of bloat. I know a lot of people who have had dogs that bloated and they have always been told to make sure that the bowl is raised to try and reduced this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

The lady in the pet shop might not necessarily be wrong. There is conflicting medical and scientific advice out there on this, which is why it is so difficult to know what is best.

I know somebody who has a large breed and has a couple of episodes of bloating, and yet always feeds from a raised bowl.

I always thought it best to feed from a raised bowl, but now I really don't know, the advice has changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 561 ✭✭✭dollydishmop

There have been several studies done recently, over many years, at great expense, ...most notable being the long term study done by the School of Veterinary Medicine at Purdue University.

Whilst in the past it was always believed that raised bowls reduced the risk of bloat, it is now largely understood that in many cases using raised feeders actually *increases* the risk of bloat, by as much as 110 %.

In my opinion the lady on the pet shop was absolutely spot on with her advice, and personally I wouldn't advocate using a raised bowl.

:D Think I'm even more confused now. He's a giant breed, he'll be about 28 inches at the shoulder when fully grown so surely it'll put a lot of strain on him to have to eat from the ground level?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Feeding large breed dogs from an elevated bowl is an old school idea for decreasing bloat because it was believed that it stopped dogs from swallowing too much air when eating which was believed to cause bloat. It is now being discovered that it is actually a swallowing defect in the dog that causes the problem. It would go some way to explain why one dog will have repeated episodes of bloat while another in the same home with the same care never have it.
    If a dog is prone to bloat it is now recommended to feed less and often and to put a large object in its bowl ie. a large ball etc. to slow down the dogs eating as it has to eat around the object. It is also recommended not to breed from a dog with repeated bloat as it is may also be genetic.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,213 ✭✭✭daenerysstormborn3

Still advise you to go to your vet.

I've worked with a vet for a couple of years and he was pretty much of the same opinion. To be honest, I've found that every vet has a different opinion on things so I'm pretty sure I'll end up with something very similar to what people have said here.

On the subject of slowing down their eating, what do ye think of these bowls?
    http://www.petfooddirect.com/Product/15302/Dogit-Go-Slow-Blue-Anti-Gulp-Slow-Feed-Dog-Bowl

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I was under the impression that if the dog is a guzzler it's more prone to bloat. OP if I was in your situation I'd split the food into 2 or 3 meals a day (which I'd do anyway!) If s/he's a guzzler I would order a couple of these and use for both food & water:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Large-Slow-Feeder-Gulp-Plastic/dp/B003TOQ0CG/ref=sr_1_12?ie=UTF8&qid=1295217746&sr=8-12

He's not really a guzzler but I've noticed he's getting the hiccups now and again. I already feed split his food into four times a day, but I think I'm going to get one of those bowls as well and put it up on a block or something.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

I was too slow finding a link there and you beat me too it.:D Yeah I certainly don't think the bowl will do any harm and I'd try not to worry too much about it. My sisters rescue pup is a hoover :eek:, not too sure of her breed yet but she's going to be a big un. Dropping a heavy rubber ball into her bowl at the minute but I reckon she's soon going to figure out that she just has to pick it up and get rid of it to get at the goodies!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭lrushe

Dropping a heavy rubber ball into her bowl at the minute but I reckon she's soon going to figure out that she just has to pick it up and get rid of it to get at the goodies!

A large link, heavy chain has been found to be effective also, dogs find it harder to take out of bowl and must lick around the links to get the food. It sounds strange but I know people who swear by it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭BengaLover

There is a new type of bowl available specifically for this problem, dogs who vacuum up their food and then get bloated..google 'eat slow bowl'..
    I saw one in Horkans pet dept, Im sure they are available elsewhere, ebay maybe?

Advertisement