Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

dirty Venetian blinds

Options
  • 16-01-2011 12:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭

what's the best way of cleaning them?

They're filthy! But, they are quite wide - about 2.25metres wide. I don't like them, so have kept them up mostly. Bit of a shock when I let them down today! We live on a busy road so they will get dirty whenever we have the windows open.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭Minister Boyce

You're a week too late with this Post, I saw aldi advertising a veinitian blind cleaner for a couple of euro last week

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Hi Minister, I looked up the Aldi site, but the blinds are beyond the help of something fiddly like that. I suppose I'm looking for someone to say, oh, put them in the bath, one end at a time...... :D

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Would a steam cleaner help?

Think there in one in either Aldi or Lidl this week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭magentas

are they wooden or aluminium?
    if they are really really bad you may have to untie them from the bottom and remove each slat and clean with a damp cloth individually.
    slow and painful process though, if it's a small enough window won't be too bad
    be careful not to bend/warp any of the slats

venetian blinds are not supposed to be left up, it ruins the chords as they can't support the full weight of the blinds like that

for future reference, just give them a light dusting each week to keep them clean
    rub the handle of the duster between your hands, this creates friction which collects all dust particles

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Ponder013

I've tried those special blind cleaner things, but the only way to clean them properly is to remove them from the window, lay them out on the floor and wipe over each blade (both sides) with a damp cloth and then a dry one.

When they are totally dry, give them a good squirt of furniture polish and a buff.

It's a hell of a job, but once done, you should only have to give them a quick, weekly flick with the duster. (until next spring clean time)

(to remove the blinds, there are clips at the top which should slide out to release them from the housing)

Hope that helps

• Advertisement
Advertisement