Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Secondary teaching - Where do I go after I get my degree!?

Options
  • 16-01-2011 1:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭

Okay so after coming out of Mary I with my Art's degree in my hand (in 5 years hopefully) what do I do next for secondary teaching?

Is it the H-Dip? And if so, could someone give me an explanation as to the requirements for the H-Dip and what's involved.

Thanks in advance,
    13spanner

p.s. the diffirence between an honours degree and normal degree? :confused:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭CG328

13spanner wrote: »
    Okay so after coming out of Mary I with my Art's degree in my hand (in 5 years hopefully) what do I do next for secondary teaching?

Is it the H-Dip? And if so, could someone give me an explanation as to the requirements for the H-Dip and what's involved.

Thanks in advance,
    13spanner

p.s. the diffirence between an honours degree and normal degree? :confused:

You will apply for a Higher Diploma ( H Dip ) in various colleges across the country in the last year of your Arts course. These colleges may require certain requirements to be eligable for the course e.g a certain class of degree e.g 2.1 or 1.1. This class of degree is based on your grades throughout your time in the Arts degree and an average is calculated to get your class of degree. A ordinary degree is at Level 7 in colleges but an Honours degree is one that is at Level 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 277 ✭✭UnLuckyAgain

You need to apply for the PGDE (formerly H.Dip). You can apply in either you final year (and your application will be based on your penultimate year results) or after fully graduating (application then based on overall degree results).

Make sure your degree, and subjects chosen conform to the TC's requirements for the different subjects on the curriculum. (Can be checked on the teaching council's website)

PGDE places are very competitive, and high grades are necessary if you wish to get in straight after your undergrad. So work hard!

Advertisement