Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Constipated doggy after spaying

Options
  • 15-01-2011 11:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭

My 1 year king charles was spayed on tues, everything went great. She didnt poop for 2 days, but since then she is screaching when she poops.
    I couldnt get the vet today so it will be monday.
    I presume its just constipation is there anything i can to ontill monday thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭lorebringer

Anaesthetic can cause constipation, or the opposite, and it's very common to have some dodgy belly problems after an operation. Increasing her fibre will help but if it's not cleared up by Monday, definitely bring her back to the vet to make sure everything is ok. They will be able to give you something (most likely liquid paraffin) to get her moving again. A handful of Shredded Wheat, All Bran or something similar will be enough to increase the fiber (she's only small, don't want to give her to much!) and might ease the constipation. If she is in obvious pain when she is trying to go (as opposed to discomfort) bringing her to the vet as soon as possible would be your best bet. It can be hard to gauge the line between pain and discomfort (esp. when the dog is crying - it can sound worse than it is when they are a bit sensitive) but you know you dog best and if she is in agony she'll need to see a vet.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭P.A.C

Thanks, i rang the vet on call last night, she didnt seem overly worried.
    Iv been trying all the usual tricks with her, i think shes just more senitive since the op.
    Im not very worried as shes in great form but i think il bring her up in the morn i just feel so sorry for her and if there is anything they can do to ease it for her. Thanks

Advertisement