Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Future of Biotechnology

Options
  • 15-01-2011 11:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hey guys! Wanted to hear some peoples thoughts on the future of this as a career! Eg academic vs industry, salary vs other sciences, how important it will be, advances that are and will presumably happen!

Thanks!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭josey_whale

Comrade C wrote: »
    Hey guys! Wanted to hear some peoples thoughts on the future of this as a career! Eg academic vs industry, salary vs other sciences, how important it will be, advances that are and will presumably happen!

Thanks!!

My thoughts... The UN defines Biotechnology as

"Any technological application that uses biological systems, living organisms, or derivatives thereof, to make or modify products or processes for specific use."

Biotechnology is therfore not a single discipline - it is used as an umbrella term and encompasses the applied aspect of bioscience. This means that you find "biotechnologists" working in food, agriculture, pharma, and many other industries.

So, by definition the area is massive.... If you are considering studying the subject at degree level, it would give you an overview of topics such as microbiology, cell culture, molecular biology. Biotech is a great course, if you are interested in the biosciences but not sure which area you would like to focus on. It really depends on what you are interested in. If you are interested in a research career, you will need a higher degree (PhD).

Also, there are very few research opportunities in industry in Ireland - so academia would be your best bet. There are plenty of jobs in industry for scientists, but it is mostly QC or validation jobs.

In terms of salary Vs the other sciences - it really depends on the sector, that you found the job in. I would however say it would be on a par with the other sciences. One thing though - Don't become a scientist, if you have ideas of getting rich!

I could go on...

Disclaimer... I have a degree in biotechnology - I work in academia, and for the most part, really enjoy what I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Comrade C

Ya nearly all Irish biotech jobs come up as quality control! The difference in irish biotech salaries and american ones is pretty big according to one sites statistics! :S Says u can earn up to $100000 in states but only around €60000 max here! But that in industry!
    I don't know though, physics salaries can be huge like, depending on what industry you end up in, like motor industry or aeronautical physics/engineering! Wondering if it would have the same trend in life sciences if u ended up in a big Pharma industry

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭JohnG18

Comrade C wrote: »
    Ya nearly all Irish biotech jobs come up as quality control! The difference in irish biotech salaries and american ones is pretty big according to one sites statistics! :S Says u can earn up to $100000 in states but only around €60000 max here! But that in industry!
    I don't know though, physics salaries can be huge like, depending on what industry you end up in, like motor industry or aeronautical physics/engineering! Wondering if it would have the same trend in life sciences if u ended up in a big Pharma industry

There's really no point looking into science for a big earning job, you may potentially end up with a really good job on great money but that won't get you through college.

I'm in third year and the thing we have been told by most lecturers and postgrads is you go into science because you enjoy it not for money.

Sure you could spend 7 years doing a research topic on about 20-25k a year. But personally that would be bliss!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,041 ✭✭✭hare05

cuttlefish.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 DN1

Just a word of warning on matters relating to biotechnology. I know a lot of science graduates upon completing their degrees have gone to Scotland to do pharmacy. I know quite a few of them with biotechnology degrees from various Irish universities. S, much for biotechnology then.

DN.

• Advertisement
Advertisement