Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Piano / Keyboard player needed to record a classical piece for a short film (unpaid)

Options
  • 15-01-2011 3:15pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8

Hi,

I'm a final year student in Creative Digital Media, located in Dublin. I am looking for someone who can play Chopin's Nocturne 20 in C Major Sharp for a short film I'm producing. Ideally the person would be able to record the performance themselves, but we do have the means to do it in the college (IT Tallaght) but it would be on a keyboard. As this is a student production we have no budget so it would be unpaid, but credit and copy is given. We need this recorded asap.

Any help with this would be much appreciated!

Debbie

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,455 ✭✭✭krd

Why don't you just use a CD?

Chopin is out copyright.

Or download the midi file - put it through some reverb and bobs your uncle.

What you going to do when you graduate from Tallaght? Work for free for people?

At least offer some sandwiches and beer - or a blow job - at least. I'm sure you could do that - at the very least.

It's a student film - no one is going to give a flying f what you use. If you use a cd and your lectures ask you if cleared copy tell them you did. They're not going to check - they're not going to know. They're only in their jobs because they kissed enough ass or are related to someone to the gig. Google their names see if any of them have ever worked on legit projects.

Welcome to 21st century Ireland - you're on your own, my friend. On. Your. Own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,277 ✭✭✭DamagedTrax

krd wrote: »

Chopin is out copyright.

At least offer some sandwiches and beer - or a blow job - at least. I'm sure you could do that - at the very least.

It's a student film - no one is going to give a flying f what you use. If you use a cd and your lectures ask you if cleared copy tell them you did. They're not going to check - they're not going to know. They're only in their jobs because they kissed enough ass or are related to someone to the gig. Google their names see if any of them have ever worked on legit projects.

E P I C :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭Seziertisch

Chopin is out copyright.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TAixFYnDh4&feature=related

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Debbs

Chopin is out copyright.

Chopin is out of copyright but you can't just use the music by the original composer as there are artists rights and such to consider. The piece being out of copyright means that the music itself can be used but not Chopin's recording of it.

When I graduate I will continue to work the way I work now: paid jobs in the industry when I can get them but I don't mind helping out for free on some shoots if it's a good opportunity but the production is no-budget. A lot of people are the same, how do you think we managed to get decent actors for the film? These people are paid for their work but occassionally do work for free as they have the decency to remember that they started out struggling to find work in the industry and had to do some jobs for free and they know it's not easy for the cast or crew involved.

Also, sandwiches and a blowjob? Well you've just nicely shown what an absolute retarded, obnoxious **** you are. What do you do in life? Is this how you got anywhere yourself? Is this you offering the advice to get jobs the same way you did? I'm assuming yes, because I don't understand how else someone with your immature mindset and absolute disregard for any person who is looking for a bit of help, could actually find employment, unless it's scrubbing toilets for a living.

Also, our lecturers do check where we get our music and don't permit anything without proper permission. We also have pride in our work and don't like to rip off other peoples work. Maybe a sense of pride and having morals is not something you wouldn't understand. We also aren't just submitting this for our grades, but also to film festivals around Ireland, and if we don't have permission to use a piece of music or anything like that then we are instantly disqualified. My lecturers are involved in the business and some have their own production companies and work for RTÉ, and other big companies. They've proven their worth as lecturers and maybe you're just jealous because things haven't worked so good for you.

So far I've done several short films and other productions, all without any budget, and people have been nice enough to be a part of it by acting, providing a location, providing costumes, music, being part of the crew, etc. Not everyone out there is a ****ing **** like yourself.

Why bother replying to the ad if that's all you have to say? You're a waste of time and space. Go do us all a favour and jump off a cliff. You don't seem to have any actually use.

even more EPIC!! give 'im hell girl!!!

i could do it for you in c sharp minor if thats any use?

• Advertisement

even more EPIC!! give 'im hell girl!!!

i could do it for you in c sharp minor if thats any use?

Thanks, and sent you a PM! (well, sending it in a second!) :)

replied

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,581 ✭✭✭judas101

I dont see the problem in asking for a freebie.

I have helped people out for nothing and also been lucky enough to get some serious help from people who donated their time.

i had an EP mixed for nothing having posted on here. Of course a few pints were bought as a gesture but that was it.

Good luck OP.

judas101 wrote: »
    I dont see the problem in asking for a freebie.

I have helped people out for nothing and also been lucky enough to get some serious help from people who donated their time.

i had an EP mixed for nothing having posted on here. Of course a few pints were bought as a gesture but that was it.

Good luck OP.

Thanks! We have managed to get something sorted out (there are some decent folk out there! Yourself included it would seem!) so hopefully all goes well! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Bluebirdstudios

Like Judas 101 I've also been involved in many sessions over the years where people gave their time for free and favours done. Its always worth asking - Well done Debbie - ye got something sorted, even if you had to endure one seriously out of line post.
    -Declan

• Advertisement

Like Judas 101 I've also been involved in many sessions over the years where people gave their time for free and favours done. Its always worth asking - Well done Debbie - ye got something sorted, even if you had to endure one seriously out of line post.
    -Declan

Cheers Declan! I managed to get it sorted out anyway so thanks to DamagedTrax for the help!

no worries. i hope my playing was ok :o

(thank god for fully weighted midi pianos :D so easy to edit a multitude of sins)

Debbs wrote: »
    Also, sandwiches and a blowjob? Well you've just nicely shown what an absolute retarded, obnoxious **** you are. What do you do in life? Is this how you got anywhere yourself? Is this you offering the advice to get jobs the same way you did? I'm assuming yes, because I don't understand how else someone with your immature mindset and absolute disregard for any person who is looking for a bit of help, could actually find employment, unless it's scrubbing toilets for a living.

Sweet love of Jesus. Sometimes I wonder why I even bother. Offer some friendly advice and get called an obnoxious ******* retard. I honestly don't know why I bother.
    Also, our lecturers do check where we get our music and don't permit anything without proper permission.

I'm sure.
    We also have pride in our work and don't like to rip off other peoples work. Maybe a sense of pride and having morals is not something you wouldn't understand.

It's a bitter world out there, my child. Maybe after you've had get down on your knees and swallow some of it a few times, you'll think differently.
    We also aren't just submitting this for our grades, but also to film festivals around Ireland, and if we don't have permission to use a piece of music or anything like that then we are instantly disqualified.

Stealing **** shows initiative. I would mark you up. Same for dressing sexy. Shows you're serious about this business.
    My lecturers are involved in the business and some have their own production companies and work for RTÉ, and other big companies. They've proven their worth as lecturers and maybe you're just jealous because things haven't worked so good for you.

I don't work in the world of Irish media. I wouldn't really like to either. All the nepotism, mediocrity and sharp elbowed wannabees digging you in the ribs, doesn't really look worth effort. And if I got a gig on Fair City, I really wouldn't be able to say it would make me feel proud. Morals my arse - I've met very few people who work in the media who aren't at least a little bit slimey. And quite a few are outright C's.
    So far I've done several short films and other productions, all without any budget, and people have been nice enough to be a part of it by acting, providing a location, providing costumes, music, being part of the crew, etc. Not everyone out there is a ****ing **** like yourself.

There's no such thing as "no budget". Cameras, lighting, transport and location, let alone the requisite sandwiches can not be magicked out of thin air. There are things that can be *cough* but we've mentioned them enough already.

Are you one of these whiney spoilt brats who can magically make films on "no budget" and work for people for free. Got a gig lined up in RTE ;)
    maybe you're just jealous because things haven't worked so good for you.

Maybe I'm jealous I didn't have your mammy and daddy. Maybe I was just born bad. Something tells me there is something snide and sneery about you. Maybe you're jealous because I have a penis, and you do not. And maybe that's why you're so angry at me.

Post us a link of one of your short films - I would like to see it. I'm curious. My curiosity has been piqued.
    Why bother replying to the ad if that's all you have to say? You're a waste of time and space. Go do us all a favour and jump off a cliff. You don't seem to have any actually use.

Ok, sugar lips. Just to prove a point. I have recorded a completely royalty free version of Chopin's Nocturne op 48 in C minor for you.

http://www20.zippyshare.com/v/6689902/file.html

It's mine - you can tell it's mine by the few f'ups I was too lazy to fix.

But I think I got the emotion right. I think it's an emotional piece.

judas101 wrote: »
    Of course a few pints were bought as a gesture but that was it.

That's what they all say.

dude, chill out. it was a student's college project.

dude, chill out. it was a student's college project.

All the more reason to take things with a pinch of salt or whatever.

She's a college student, she's not a 6 year-old child.

College students are very grown up. They drink, smoke pot and have sex with each other.

Anyway.

I've posted my Chopin - I'm curious to hear yours. Think you could pop it up on Zippy share?

I've posted my Chopin - I'm curious to hear yours. Think you could pop it up on Zippy share?

I'd rather not to be honest. anyway, as i told the OP, i had to use a midi file for the more complicated bits. i didnt play all parts myself. im no pianist.

All the more reason to take things with a pinch of salt or whatever.

She's a college student, she's not a 6 year-old child.

College students are very grown up. They drink, smoke pot and have sex with each other.

still no need to tell ANY girl to go smoke cock to get ahead. that was like WTF? even for you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

Mod Note: Okay, since there hasn't been any moderator action taken I'm going to step in here. First off I don't frequent this forum and I don't know any of you and your posting history, I'm just going by what has been posted on this thread. First off one thing that really annoys me is when new members are treated unreasonably by established members. We all had to start somewhere and after reading what looked like a reasonable request to see responses like these goes way beyond what I deem acceptable:
    At least offer some sandwiches and beer - or a blow job - at least
    It's a bitter world out there, my child. Maybe after you've had get down on your knees and swallow some of it a few times, you'll think differently.
    Stealing **** shows initiative. I would mark you up. Same for dressing sexy.
    Are you one of these whiney spoilt brats
    Maybe I'm jealous I didn't have your mammy and daddy
    Maybe you're jealous because I have a penis, and you do not.

There is a general rule on Boards - Don't be a dick. In my opinon krd has broken that rule so he has been banned for two weeks.

Lastly there is a Report Post icon report.gif on the lower left hand corner of each post. I would appreciate it if posters would use it.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,765 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

krd had it right though, if you're looking for someone to work for free, at least offer them a pint/lunch/chocolate. It's common courtesy.

• Advertisement

irish_goat wrote: »
    krd had it right though, if you're looking for someone to work for free, at least offer them a pint/lunch/chocolate. It's common courtesy.

OP is giving me credit and a copy.

as a student i got plenty of favours done for me by musicians so for a 20 minute job i wouldnt be expecting anything more :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I can understand the sentiments but the tone and content of his posts were unacceptable.

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

I can play this for real if it's needed, I'm sure DamagedTrax version is grand though. Actually wouldnt mind hearing it too, too see how transperant the merging of playing and midi is. krd's version sounds like every note has the same midi velocity, so i'd imagine it's just a poorly revoiced midi file

iamnothim wrote: »
    I can play this for real if it's needed, I'm sure DamagedTrax version is grand though. Actually wouldnt mind hearing it too, too see how transperant the merging of playing and midi is. krd's version sounds like every note has the same midi velocity, so i'd imagine it's just a poorly revoiced midi file

i can tell you now that its below average. after not playing seriously for the last 10 years my sensitivity is long gone and my finger speed is dreadful, hence the need to use a midi file on the more complex passages.

but it wasnt as bad as i expected and has given me a push to get back playing again.. although i may concentrate on more modern stuff. i dont enjoy playing classical as i'll never be anywhere good enough to do it justice... chords and short run passages is the extent of my abilities these days.

thank fook for midi eh? :D

The guy who did help us out with the music is receiving copy and credit. We're happy with the end result and are glad that someone was nice enough to give up their time to help us out.

I can understand the suggestion to at least offer "a pint/lunch/chocolate" etc. but if you consider that for this shoot we needed 8 actors, 5 different location, a couple different costumes, and had to pay petrol costs, feeding cast and crew (just made sandwiches and such on the day and where possible we provided tea/coffee), so if we were to try give everyone something for their help with this besides copy/credit it just wouldn't be feasible. As it was there was no budget given. Expenses were paid by the Director and me (Producer) out of our own pockets and neither of us has a lot of money to begin with. We appreciate the help we got from everyone.

Thank you to the mod and everyone else who stuck up for me on the thread or through PM's. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭iamnothim

but it wasnt as bad as i expected and has given me a push to get back playing again.. although i may concentrate on more modern stuff. i dont enjoy playing classical as i'll never be anywhere good enough to do it justice... chords and short run passages is the extent of my abilities these days.

thank fook for midi eh? :D

this was what drew me into it too to be honest. i've been neglecting my classical side for a while now and it's such a shame to not be able to play some of the pieces i could play when I was 16 anymore.

I think I might record a version of it anyway, just for practice sake.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,093 ✭✭✭TelePaul

Ah to be fair, telling any woman they should pay for something with a bj is classless, whether its in jest or not.

Advertisement